[3830] CQWW SSB 5I3A M/M LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1xm@underwater.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 5I3A M/M LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:32:25 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 5I3A
Operator(s): 5H3GRN, 5H3JMN, 5H3NNN, 5H3PEN, 5H3WJN, K1XM(5H1X), KQ1F(5H1F)
Station: 5I3A

Class: M/M LP
QTH: Tanzania
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   12     5       11
   20:  441    24       74
   15:  534    24       74
   10: 1380    22       80
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club (2/7)

Comments:

First contest operatino from the Dar es Salaam Institute of Technology
club station.

Our goal was to break the zone 37 multi-mult record.  We didn't quite
make it.  We had the Q's but not the countries.

80 and 160 were useless.  The noise pegged the s-meter.  We never heard
any signals on these bands.

40 was noisy and we weren't loud.

20 was sometimes the only band open - at the beginning of the contest
it was the only band where we could work stations.  At 0300Z we had made
10 QSOs.  Our first European run started at 1700Z Sunday and produced
such rare mults as HB9!  And we worked our first PY at 2320Z Sunday.

15 produced some runs, but was mostly search and pounce.

10 was open at times when we could hear no signals at al on any other
band.  This was really weird!

We got a lot of "Thanks for the double mult" comments.  You're welcome!

South America was really tough.  I listened for HC8N many times when he
was spotted on packet but never heard his signal.  Ditto for PJ2T.

We are not MI3A, 9I3A, 5X3A...  5I3A is the permanently assigned
callsign for the club station.  Five of the operators are faculty
at the institute.  The group of students who took their ham license
exams last spring all graduated.  But another group is taking the
test next month.  So you should be hearing more of this callsign.

Thanks to W1JR, AE6Y, K3PH, K1GQ, KC1XX, and K1EA for their help.