[3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n6wg@earthlink.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N6WG SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 18:36:14 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Newark Ca
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    0     0        0
   40:   13     6        5
   20:   21    11       11
   15:   39    17       23
   10:   79    19       22
------------------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

What a blast.  This entry was never intended to happen.  I planned to get on and
cherry pick a few new countries toward my QRP DXCC, and that was all.  However,
after putting in 5 hours Friday, I figured, What the Heck, Let's go for it.  So
I parked my behind firmly in my chair and did some serious (for me) DX
hunting.

Friday evening I closed with about 875 points, and thought "This will be a long,
hard slog."  I just wasn't hearing much DX at that point.  Then Saturday, 10m
seemed to open up and I began to make contacts.  Now it's getting more
interesting.  I could see that 10K points was within my grasp.  Pretty soon I
had that, and was panting after 15K.  Then that came and passed, and 20K looked
pretty possible.  This is starting to be fun.  I closed out Saturday night with
around 23K in the log.  Then Sunday things really picked up.  With all the
multipliers I had been gathering as well as QSOs, the points display on TR Log
starting moving up in big steps, around 230 to 300 points or more per step.
Wow.  During the last three hours, I had my best rate.  Must be everyone was
hungry and willing to dig for that weak guy in there calling them.  My thanks to
all the VEs and JAs I worked.

I finally closed with just over 43K points, way beyond my wildest expectations
for this contest.  Now I have a benchmark for the future, and will shoot for 50K
next year.  It seems doable, now that I see how the game is played :-)
I also picked up enough new countries to put me over the top for the ARRL QRP
DXCC award.

The setup here is really modest, a K2 at 5w and two 40m dipoles at more-or-less
right angles to each other.  I run TR Log on an ancient COMPAQ 33 MHz laptop,
and it clicks right along.  I'm just getting into computer logging, but it sure
is addictive :-)

I'll be looking for a lot of familiar calls in the ARRL 160m test next week.
If you hear me, please dig me out.
73, Bob N6WG