[3830] CQWW CW CT9M(KL2A) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, KL2A@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW CT9M(KL2A) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:08:50 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: CT9M
Operator(s): KL2A
Station: CQ9K

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Madeira Islands
Operating Time (hrs): 44.4
Radios: SO2R

  160:   68     8       38
   80:  220    18       62
   40: 1163    30       90
   20: 1051    33      101
   15: 1118    34       89
   10: 1395    27       90
------------------------------

Club: TEAM MADEIRA

Comments:

CT9M Data, Pictures, Stories, Logbook, 48 hours of audio, and more:

http://www.qsl.net/kl2a

:: Looks like a New Africa Record ?

This was my 1st SO2R effort, and 3rd SOAB ever!
(All of my DX efforts were Single Band, M/M, or 10 & 160 contests)

THE TRIP - Arriving on Madeira and meeting Luis CT3EE for the ride to the
station had me grinning from ear to ear, we kept going up!  3500' up.  The first
views of the antennas blew me away... these guys erected a full M/M station!
Separate towers for each band and a water shot 3500 feet below to Europe and the
Americas.  Unreal.

PRE-CONTEST I did have a couple hours before the contest tuning around and
working some piles to get a feel, but went into this one blind with no real
experience from this region on propagation.  This hurt me for mults having to
"feel" my way through the world wide QRM!  Wow!

Long path was amazing!  Working JA's South at 20 over S9 is pretty cool, but
only a few in the log!

SO2R ? I sure learned to respect SO2R, and kept my learning to the 2nd day
deciding to keep my focus on Radio 1 at a pretty good pace, with 3333 in the log
by 00z. At hour 42 I began to really play SO2R for real and the rate jumped way
up. (I?ll start earlier next time)  Even though, surely I seemed Rookie Status
to anyone who called me and heard an awkward silence.  Many of you left before I
figured out which radio was calling me!  Sorry guys, next year I'll have it
down.

OPERATING HIGHLIGHTS

3333 Q's in 24 hours
Multiple high rate hours 190-200s
China calling over the top of a pile up

OPERATING LOW LIGHTS

Having to leave the radio for a walk to shake the sleep,
then a 1 hour nap because I couldn't.  I really didn't
want to, but had to, I was going down.

It's an unreal experience with the "locals" on 160 being EA8, D4, CN, CT3, 5U
etc.. didn't seem real.
This may be why I missed CT3 on 160! And about 20-50 other very easy ones.

Thanks KL9A for the audio mixer for SO2R ? impossible without it.

Special Thanks to Team Madeira - CQ9K CQ9K CQ9K !
CT3EE, CT3DL, CT3BD "5nn33", CT3IA, CT3KU, CT3KY, CT3EN, CT3IQ and more!

73 es Happy Holidays de KL2A