[3830] ARRLDX CW AC6DD SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac6dd@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AC6DD SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:18:53 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: AC6DD
Operator(s): AC6DD
Station: AC6DD

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 14

  160:
   80:  132    52
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  132    52  Total Score = 20,436

Club:

Comments:

This was again a portable operation from a pier.
At first I thought about doing 40m, but I needed more time figuring out my noise
sources at the pier, so I decided on a part time effort on 80m.
I Set up a four square of inverted L's.  The pier was in use on Friday, so
didn't get too much stuff up before the contest.  Forgot the instructions for
the Comtek box at home, so I had the antennas phased wrong.  I noticed something
was not working right so I changed the cables around, and was wrong again,
finally got it right.
The conditions on 80m were not very good, quite a bit worse than in cqww.
Found out that the 80m four square is receiving great on 160m, but unfortunately
did not have an antenna for 160 with me. It turns out that the lights I thought
were my noise sources during cq160 were not the problem.  My problems turned out
to be a few miles away; neon signs and a possibly power line even further up the
hills.  I have a slingshot, but can't do much about the 500kV line.

The next day I put up an antenna for 160 meters: Inverted L made of 18 feet of
vertical wire and about 100 feet sloping from the 18'top to ground. No radials,
just a jumper to steel decking. Tuner would not match it very well, as I ran out
of inductance.  Had a higher than 3:1 SWR.  So I tried to call KP4KE/QRP (5w)
with 500w into this contraption (amp shut down with more power). He comes right
back.  Than I work KV4FZ, PJ2T, PJ4A, CU2M, 9Y4W, V47Z, LR2F, two KH6, two V31,
several JA's, C6, KL7.  Now I am thinking what if I had a real antenna?
Copy this link to your browser to see the antenna:

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/4630e46a_m4195fe7d/bc/My+Documents/P1010067.jpg?BCEECHCBBDeDrbde

This contest is nice as you can tell how much power people are running.  Worked
several dx stations running 100w or less.  Kp4ke with 5w on 160m. Ti5n 5w on
80m, 52 countries were worked on 80m.

The weather was pretty bad with rain and heavy winds, so I bailed out early each
evening.  Did not wait for sunrise and possible LP Europe.  I caught a break in
the rain to take the antennas down on Sunday.  This might be it for the pier for
this winter.

Niko - AC6DD