[3830] IARU W5ZL SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5zl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W5ZL SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:57:48 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: W5ZL
Operator(s): W5ZL
Station: W5ZL

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

  160:   14      6      6
   80:   81     27     17
   40:  126     23     32
   20:  276    477     65
   15:  135     89     48
   10:   30     32     18
---------------------------
Total:  662    661    186  Total Score = 732,654

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Thanks a bunch to Marv N5AW for letting me use his QTH and fabulous antennas
with my radio, laptop, etc. The weekend was especially fun because Bob W5EK ran
a companion station under his own call SOLP CW from just a few feet away and
made 676 Q's. We shared use of Marv's antennas (since I had grabbed the
operating position with all the antenna switching controls you can guess who
overall enjoyed the better antenna choices), which undoubtedly impacted each of
our scores negatively, but made for a lot more tolerable stay-up-for-24-hour
day. No band pass filters, but we had almost NO interstation interference unless
we tried to operate CW and SSB on the same band at the same time, which we did
for extended periods with me on 20 SSB and Bob on 20 CW. I had very little
problem from him but Bob reported that his noise floor jumped 10dB every time I
transmitted which did prevent his working weak stations. The only other times we
had problems was when one of us was operating on a direct multiple (like
7012/14024) of the other. Tuning off a few KHz solved that and we were good to
go.

In summary, I just don't know how people do 48 hour contests. It was all I could
do to prop my eyelids open for nearly 24. Guess we know who the real iron men in
this sport aren't.

Rig: IC-756 ProII
Dell laptop with port replicator + N1MM software
Antennas: 4 element SteppIR at 135', 2 element quad at 48', rotable 40 m dipole
above the SteppIR offset 90 degrees to minimize interaction, five 80m slopers on
the big tower, a 10-80 m vertical mounted on the roof, big tower shunt fed for
160.

Complete coincidence that CW and phone numbers are 50/50!