[3830] IARU CS5A(DF4SA) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, corneliuspaul@gmx.net
Subject: [3830] IARU CS5A(DF4SA) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:13:21 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: CS5A
Operator(s): DF4SA
Station: CS5A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    13           12
   80:    71           21
   40:   298           43
   20:  1145           61
   15:  1022           65
   10:   201           31
---------------------------
Total:  2750    0     233  Total Score = 2,253,110

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

My second contest from Portugal this year (after WPX CW - also as CS5A)
Many thanks again to GPDX (Potugal DX group) and especially CT1BWW and CT1DRB
for all their help in making these operations come true.

Set up was the typical portable style, starting to assemble the station only on
Friday afternoon, about 20hrs before the contest:

20-15-10m: Spiderbeam
40m: rotary dipole above the beam
80/160m: fiberglass pole carrying inverted L wires for 80/160m
RIG: Icom IC-735 and Heathkit SB-1000, output 700W

Actually CT1DRB and me had this setup up & running fine already after 5hrs
(Friday evening) but then I forgot to fix the bottom of the inverted L pole ..
which made for a bad awakening on Saturday, a mess of tangled wires and a
single-handed last minute-effort to get it all up again - succeeded 10min before
the game started.

Regarding the contest itself, this was my first ever IARU contest, and I made a
few more silly mistakes...
First I missed a few openings because I am used to think in 48h contests, not in
24h .. So when I finally went to 160m I realized half of EU was already in
daylight and missed those mults.
Second I spent too much time looking for multipliers anyway, until I realized
there are nearly none left. It is not like in CQWW when you will always find
more multipliers :)

Well I guess to overcome these problems it would be high time to finally learn
SO2R but I dont feel like I have the free time for this at the moment, and also
it would add even more luggage to carry around.

Thanks to all those who called in!
I guess I am going to relax for the rest of the summer & CU in CQWW .. :)

73 Con DF4SA

www.qsl.net/df4sa