[3830] ARRL 160 W4EF M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W4EF M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 14:02:24 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Total:  QSOs = 129  Sections = 47  Countries = 1  Total Score = 12,528

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: FT1000MP MKV and Drake L-7 (~1100 watts)
Antenna: 60 ft series-fed top loaded vertical

Had the packet on Friday night to see if any DX was being spotted. Saw KA6SAR
spotted by a OK station, so I decided to investigate. Turns out Mike was in
Georgia (probably at NQ4I). Gave him a QSO, so that put me in the M/S category
and then I went to bed. Saturday night/Sunday morning, I fired up around
midnight and did some S&P for a few hours, but without any packet (had my
computer booted up in DOS for TRlog, so I wasn't setup for telnet). Seems like
me new TX antenna (60' tall top-loaded vertical) at the home QTH is working
okay. I didn't feel all that weak for a change. I am sure it still could stand
to be improved (the radial system on the west side is still pretty sparse) and
there are no radials on the north or south side (and never will be) due to the
property line to the north and my house to the south.

Kind of tired from doing antenna work all day (had to rebuild the K9AY array at
W6VIO because the gardners cut down the loops - guess it got in their way), so I
went back to bed around 0930 UTC and then got up again around 1130 UTC for
another 1.5 hours. Finished off after another catnap with a ~30 minute shot at
around 1500 UTC. Seemed like a fair amount of activity, but conditions didn't
seem terribly good. Nice to work many familiar callsigns.