[3830] ARRL 160 W4ZW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4zw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W4ZW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:41:49 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4ZW
Operator(s): W4ZW
Station: W4ZW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Florida
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

Total:  QSOs = 155  Sections = 52  Countries = 4  Total Score = 18,032

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Soapbox: Got home Friday night from my son's basketball game and turned on
the rig to hear big signals in 160.  Decided to try and load the feedline to
one of the A4's and pass out a few Q's.  Well, the ATR-30 loaded the
feedline but the big signals just Cqed in my face!  So, late Saturday I
decided to throw up something for 160.  Put up a double extended bazooka
with the center at 80' ASL and the ends at about 6'.  It took only a small
tweak with the tuner to load at 1:1 and voila!  I could work everyone I
heard (but without a beverage my ears were only as good as the bazooka.  I
was also surprised that the bazooka was rather broad banded (read lossy) and
only needed a very small tweak to move 30-40 kHz.  Heard/worked several
FCGers.  6Y0A had a HUGE signal!  Caught snatches of a couple of EU's in the
noise, but unable to copy anything.  Boy!  This was fun.  I haven't been on
top band in years!  Now I'm thinking about an inverted "L"  and a coax
receiving loop.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"