[3830] CQ160 CW VE3NE Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VE3NE Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:51:30 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VE3NE
Operator(s): VE3NE
Station: VE3NE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Toronto
Operating Time (hrs): 26

Total:  QSOs = 1068  State/Prov = 60  Countries = 41  Total Score = 554,793

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

With the help of Paul, VE3TA I put up a "mini" beverage antenna on the roof of
my apartment building. It is 60m long, terminated and all that. I know it's not
perfect, however it has lot better Noise/Signal ratio than the TX ant. Turned on
the radio at 6:30 and found that on my RX ant I had S9 "buzz saw"-like noise.
For a month or two, since I have the antenna, I never heard this. Ran out
quickly and checked the resistor, the balun and all the connections but
everything seemed OK. For this contest I programmed my computer, tuned the amp
and made sure everything is ready days before the contest but still something
happens...:-( So again, I had to put up with my urban noise. The funny part is
that when condx ended for EU the noise disappeared too...hi. Have to admit
though that at the end of the contest the noise did not come back so actually I
was able to use the RX ant for a couple of hours. I will experiment with the
antenna a bit more to see if I can squeeze out even better S/N ratio.

A couple of guys were complaining about my CW clix. Sorry about that. The radio
I am using is an FT1000 MP Mark V Field (+ KW) and it comes out from the factory
like that. Too bad there is no recall on radios by the manufacturers like on
cars...hi. I have the clix mode kit but not installed yet. On the band there
were a lot of stations with clix, however they don't bug me unless we are very
close to each other. I have the roofing filter installed along with a 400 Hz CW
filter and it seems they are doing the job very well. I hope the mode will
rectify this problem.

May be it just me but I missed the Caribbean countries like P4, 8P6, FM, FG,
VP2, VP5, PJ5, etc... Later on I will post sound bits from the contest on my
"dipole.com" web site.

CU next time.

73   Lali, VE3NE