[3830] ARRLDX CW IO3P(IZ3EYZ) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, iz3eyz@virgilio.it
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW IO3P(IZ3EYZ) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:43:44 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: IO3P
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IV3TMV

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Udine
Operating Time (hrs): 29

  160:
   80:
   40: 1229    58
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1229    58  Total Score = 213,846

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

First of all a huge tnx to Flavio IV3TMV for inviting me and his wife for
"putting up with me" for two days. I spent two wonderful days in a 5 stars hotel
style. Operating in a domestic environment I could enjoy all those assets like
having a shower or a comfortable bed.

As setup is growing and several ants are still on the ground I decided to give
40m a try, mainly due to low sunspots and almost quiet condx. This turned out to
be a good choice since 20m played as expected at this solar cycle point.
Enjoyed the first three hrs well above 100Qs, then a slow game till the end.
Spent about 2 hrs on Saturday and 1 hr on Sunday (woke up at 15.15z as I never
set alarm clock) checking LP openings and netted 28 Qs. 2nd night was painful
slow.
West coast guys peaked S-5 the 2nd night and a bit louder the 1st one but big
guns like NK7U K7RL and someone else well over S-9!!
After all we (me and my host) are both satisfied as everything performed
flawlessy.
Enjoyed the short tight race (maximum gap was abt 10Qs) with Dave 9A1P(9A1UN) as
we were sending scores each other almost every hour or so...but heavy wind @9A1P
had some other plans and put him out of the game.

Did it in the alligator mode making some short trips above 7050 to catch US
fresh meat and it paid off as I found K0HA (NE) and W3DQ (DC). K0HA was the only
NE that was worked instead I got DC once again.

It was so pity to experience (after few contest I hadn't...) freqs stealers.
That's why I 'm gonna sponsoring a "MASTER OF RUDE OPERATING TECHNIQUES" trophy.
My ARRL CW 2006 nominations are: LZ7X, CU2A, TI3M, YR7M, UY0ZG. These five rude
guys had the ability to start cq'n 0 to +/- 200hz away and refused to move at
all. LZ7X, YR7M, UY0ZG gave up once they realized I was working US and their
rate was under 0 Qs/hr....but they added me troubles hearing some weak US as
they were coming S-9+20!!
TI3M established a steady US run and I had to move slightly dwn.
CU2A(OH2UA) refused to move and few minutes later had the bravery to tell me
QRL, QSY....lol....funny I had been on 7024.8 for 2 hrs or so and spent the
whole night there till 07z. Not that he hurt my rate but...

S52X, S50XX and SWL(??) showed up on Saturday evening and we had a great
time...as also the Sunday evening dinner with IV3TMV and I3MLU...now that I
discovered such a fine restaurant 500m away.... :-)))
That's why I started around 20.40z both days...but I guess I didn't lose too
much as it was mostly a east coast big guns game.

Matt.EYZ