[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 21:30:28 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 39

  160:    1     1
   80:    4     2
   40:   28    17
   20:   99    42
   15:   96    42
   10:   17     6
-------------------
Total:  245   110  Total Score = 80,850

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-817  (5 Watts)

Antennas:

Mosley TA-33M tribander with 40 meter extension, up 32 feet

DX-LB trap dipole for 40-80-160, up 30 feet in middle, and 15 feet at the
ends.

I had heard rumors that we were getting toward the bottom of the cycle, but now
I know about it first hand!

I was only able to get into Europe for about 10 QSOs on 20 Meters. On 15 Meters,
the only European opening was for about a half hour on Sunday.  That opening
consisted of three or four EAs, and I was lucky enough to work two of them!

With my small city lot, I have a lot of trouble on the low bands.  One of my
best Qs was when XE7T finally heard me for my only Q on 160.  I had been calling
him on and off all Saturday night and he finally got my call about an hour
before sunrise.  Thanks!

I was also surprised to work AH6RF on 10 Meters.  My few other 10 Meter Qs were
in Central or South America, of course.

And thanks to Kurt, VP9/W6PH, for offering to go to 20 meters and give me a
multiplier there.  When you only have 110 mults, one more makes a big
difference!

It was also very nice to work 6V6U and J37K on 20 Meters in the last 3 minutes
of the contest.  They both had HUGE piles 10 minutes earlier, and I was amazed
to suddenly find them by themselves at the very end.  I think I was J37K's last
QSO.

With my antenna set up, there were plenty of hours with only 3 or 4 QSOs. But
QRP is still a lot of fun, even near the bottom of the cycle.

...Bill Parker  W8QZA  -  W6QU