[3830] NAQP CW N0AX(@N7LKL) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N0AX(@N7LKL) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:43:06 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N7LKL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 2.5

  160:    7     5
   80:   26    12
   40:  116    37
   20:    3     3
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  152    57  Total Score = 8,664

Club:

Team:

Comments:

The QTH I'm housesitting has an 80-something foot dipole up in some fir trees,
an SGC-two-thirty-something tuner, my FT-847 that I sold the owner (clever,
eh?), and a location high on Vashon Island.  No PC hooked up or nothin'.  Does
have a Bencher hooked up with red paddles and a pair of decent headphones -
woo-hoo!  I decide to see if I can work anybody on 40 after going to the local
pet protector benefit auction dubbed "The Fur Ball" (my contribution, the
slogan "Cough It Up at the Fur Ball").  Hmmm, what to log on?  Legal pad buried
under today's mail, so I grab a pen and the high-school composition book I
bought in Brazil for note-taking and have at it.

Whoa!  The dipole works!  Pileup!  Waaaahhh!  Writing - um, scribbling - calls
and sending 599 before I remember it's NAQP.  Jeez - this is work!  How did we
do that in the Goodle Days?  Dupe sheet at the same time?  You're kidding,
right?  Remember to go up to 20 and look for KH6ND - there he is - work him,
call CQ just below him in remora fish mode - kinda works, but too slow for
spoilt-rotten, swelled-head WRTC operator.  Back to 40.

Decent rate and get the hang of balancing notebook on leg while actually
remembering the call for more than 5 seconds so I don't have to write it all
down before responding.  Doesn't a notebook have a "start sending" control on
it?  Work W6YI and he moves me to 80.  I tune around a bit and hear K5KA, so I
work them.  They try to move me to 160 but I try to weasel out of it,
smarty-pants station owner tells me to "use tuner, lid" :-)  OK, OK...down to
1822...kinda maybe sorta hear them.  Put rig on manual transmit and watch tuner
scratch its butt for a while trying to find a match like a nervous singer going
for the right pitch on the band's first night.  Oh, there it is.  OK, call 'em
- no luck, CQ in face, give up, back to 40.

40 is berry, berry good to me with steady stream of callers from all over.
Work WRTC partner KL9A's dad, Frank KL7FH, and KH6.  Find frequency.  Lose
frequency.  Tune up and hear N3BB moving somebody to 10-meters!  A clear
frequency for CQing - isn't that a nice howdy-do? Thanks, Jim! Run out of
callers a while later and decide to S&P.  Run out of band.  Dive down to 160,
work two CA and a CO.  Up to 80 where some guyz are and do a couple of band
sweeps, marveling at the ability of the dipole to be heard.  Convince myself
its all due to operator skill.

Take a deep breath and go pearl diving on Top Band again.  Hey, K5KA is Q4.2 on
QSB peaks.  Call.  Call.  Call.  Get a ?, which, as all LP operators know, is
almost as good as a real Q and since the computer already knows the hard stuff,
I just have to get four letters through in some semblance of order.  By golly,
they go in the log! Bag three more guys and decide to call it a night.

See you next time from somewhere else!

73, Ward N0AX/someplace