[3830] OhQP N8II SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP N8II SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 10:17:21 -0700
                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75

   80:   59     66
   40:   69    117
   20:    3      3
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:  131    186  CW Mults = 56  Ph Mults = 62  Total Score = 52,746

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We need more solar activity to level the playing field a bit. I worked 2-3
 stations on some 20M sporadic E and a few more on backscatter and that was
 it for 20 into OH from the eastern tip of WV. 40 was intermittent to
 eastern OH and by 21Z was lengthening out over OH and was gone by 2315Z.
 K8MR wasn't much of a factor here. I never heard him til after 21Z on 75M
 and we worked 3 times total. I had better luck with K8RYU, N8TFD, KJ9C,
 W8MRG and W1NN who I worked quite a few times. Thanks for the counties.
 I operated about as much as possible. We HAD a pretty bad drought til the
evening of the OQP.
 My break for dinner was extended by about 25 minutes by a thunderstorm with
 high winds and plenty of lightening; then about 0220Z I noticed an increase
 in the already high QRN level on 80M; I QRT'ed about 0245 and by 0250 it
 was raining again with mucho grande lightening again. This storm was the
 mother of all drought busters; it rained hard for just about exactly one
 hour! The AC was interrupted but remained on twice during the first wave,
 but our local water system was knocked out by each storm! There were
 several broken limbs from trees, but the antennas survived as well as me.
 Needless to say, it was no picnic digging out signals thru the high QRN
 from about 20Z til the end of the OQP. My goal was to work as many counties
 as possible; I ended up with 74 total counties worked. I did spend
 probably a bit too much time running when the rates were decent. Thanks
 for the fun event and the counties.