[3830] SS CW K5NA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5na@ecpi.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K5NA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 09:10:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA
Station: K5NA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: STX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:   53
   40:  774
   20:  455
   15:  124
   10:
------------

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Wow! Conditions were really good and there seemed to be a lot of stations to
work this year. But maybe my station improvements are finally starting to pay
off with better scores.

This year was a personal all-time best for me in SS CW. I had been improving my
QSO totals slowly the past few years with 1261, 1265, and 1275 QSOs. When I hit
1300 QSOs this year, I was really surprised. And then getting to 1400 QSOs was
a really unexpected thrill.

The multipliers were all worked early allowing me to concentrate on QSOs. I
found VY1JA on 15M with the second radio during the third hour of the contest,
then the other multipliers called me. At 0900Z I took a sleep break with 79
multipliers in the log. The only one I had missed was KP4 and I was beginning
to wonder if KE3Q had cancelled his KP4 operation.

But early the next morning I found WP3R on 20M using the second radio. Later in
the day as the QSO rates fell and I used the second radio more, I heard him
many, many times.

I noticed that my score breaks the old STX CW SO HP record; but I guess glory
is brief. Congratulations to N5RZ who set the new record from K5TR with a much
greater score. Nice going Gator.

Dare I hope for a top ten finish? I hope saying it doesn't jinx me. The last
time I managed a top ten CW SS finish was twice in the 1970s as K5PFL. I was a
lot younger then but it was just as hard. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for
this one.

Thanks for all the QSOs guys.

73, Richard - K5NA