[3830] CQ160 CW W2GD Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W2GD Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:18:10 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG, K2TW, N2EA, N2OO, W1GD, W2CG, W2GD, W2KP, W2NO, W2OB, W2RQ
Station: W2GD

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NJ (FM29)
Operating Time (hrs): 47

Total:  QSOs = 1553  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 74  Total Score = 822,120

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

This was our teamâ??s third and final 160 CW event of the 2006/2007 contest
season from our FD style station located 20 miles north of Atlantic City, NJ,
on the shores of Barnegat Bay.  Operating from this spectacular seaside
location is always a pure joy, with nothing but salt water for miles in the
direction of Europe

But being located on "Murphy Drive" has its pluses and minuses and this past
weekend was no exception.  Dealing with the â??surprisesâ?? is all part of the
game (and the fun).

STATION DESCRIPTION:
Run Position - IC756ProIII, Alpha 99 + Alpha 76, IC746 slave receiver
Multiplier Position - IC756ProII, AL 1200

TX ANTENNAS:
3 element Vertical Wire Array firing NE/WSW/Omni, apex at 185' surrounded by a
tidal salt marsh for a minimum of 500 feet.
Inverted "L" Vertical with 4 elevated radials (Day 1 only)
Vertical Dipole (Day 2 only â?? see below)

RX ANTENNAS:
Phased pair of 935' beverages NE
560' unterminated beverages SW, South, and East
560' staggered 2 element beverages West (terminated) and NW/SW (unterminated)

WEEKEND SNIPPETS

The weather cooperated for a change this year. It was cold and windy but no
rain/snow until the last hour of the contest.  With no big storms in the lower
48 states, the band was exceptionally QRN free all weekend.

Station setup and testing were accomplished in record time (about 4 hours).  We
make a note to document the wiring and build dedicated cabling and station
interfaces for the site before next season.

For the first time in memory we were surprised to find ALL of our antennas
intact upon arrival, even after numerous big windstorms since the Stew Perry
contest.  Not having to make antenna repairs saved time and reduced the fatigue
factor.

The most critical antennas (both TX antennas and the NE beverage) were tested
first.  Itâ??s always a kick to hear WBZ on 1030 in Boston over 250 miles away
on the NE beverage at high noon local time coming in S9+20, and then switch to
the west beverage and observe their signal nearly disappear.  Did someone say
something about â??cone of silenceâ?? ?

Pre-contest testing revealed the multiplier position IC-756ProII had an
intermittent (sticky) T/R relay (why doesnâ??t ICOM beef up this component).
Forced to change out the unreliable xcvr, but fortunately we had a backup ProII
to put on the table in its place.

Our run amplifier, an Alpha 99, was acting strangely too, the â??tuneâ??
indicator bar was not working, and it was requiring more drive than normal to
reach full output.  We left it in line, but later discovered the symptoms were
the prelude to its eventual failure during the first night.

Listening at sunset, we were happy there was virtually no noise, but we also
noted we werenâ??t hearing many EU stations.  This was not a good sign, and
over the course of the first night conditions to EU never improved very much.

Departing from our tradition of sharing a pre-contest pizza for dinner, the
whole team went out to a local restaurant for a sit down meal.  It was so nice
and relaxing to have everything ready to roll hours before the start.

Started the contest on 1811.  First hour was our best start ever, 158 QSOs with
10 ten pointers and 15 five pointers in the mix.  Second hour was pretty good
too, a 130 hour with another 6 ten pointers logged.  Conditions to EU were
marginal.  EU stations kept calling CQ on or near our run frequency, apparently
not hearing us.

Discovered we had RF problems in the shack when trying to key the mult station
using the computer.  Determined the source of the RF was the inverted L.
Performance of the Inverted L was also down from prior years.  Most likely
cause was some â??changeâ?? in the ground system.  We decided to look into the
problem the next morning.

About 0400 the output of the Alpha 99 suddenly dropped over 50 percent.
Swapped the amp out, replacing it with a 30 year old Alpha 76.  We didnâ??t
miss a beat, continuing to run on the mult position station.

The band sounded flat Friday night.  We were concerned about the lack of EU
propagation.  Ended the first night with just 114 ten pointers, down 30
compared to 2006.  We seemed to be able to work whatever we heard, but the
volume just wasnâ??t there.  Conclusion: conditions stunk.

Added VK and JA at our first sunrise.  Yahoo!!!  Heard but didnâ??t work ZL6QH
and not a hint of a KL7.

At breakfast we discuss the stray RF and amplifier problems.  Consider antenna
options and decide to replace the Inverted L with a vertical dipole at N2EAâ??s
suggestion.

Build and erect vertical dipole (63 feet vertical).  It tunes easily.  RF
problems in the shack completely disappear.  Weâ??re anxious to observe its
performance in the evening.

W2NO and K2TW dismantle the Alpha 99 to do component level diagnostics.
Determine the problem is most likely a 10 cent diode.  After a trip to the
local Radio Shack, a replacement diode was installed and the amp works
perfectly again.

South Jersey DXA operators keep the station on the air all day Saturday.  Its
slow going but 64 daylight contacts make it into the log.

We start to hear EU nearly 2 hours before our sunset.  This is viewed as an
encouraging sign of better things to come at we got to sundown.

Work our first EU right at sunset but the real opening doesnâ??t begin until
after 00 Z.  Over the next 6 hours nearly half of all contacts logged are ten
pointers!

At 2300 W2RQ arrives (Bill was unavailable the first night).  We put Bill in
the run chair and watch him go to town for the next 3 hours.  Having a fresh OP
paid off big.

We are happy to learn the new vertical dipole used primarily on the mult
station is significantly outperforming the inverted L.  Most calls to Wâ??s are
answered immediately and we even work many DX stations with the antenna.
Itâ??s a keeper, and we have plans to add and phase a second vertical dipole
next season.

The 0600 to 0700 hour is the mother load with 80 QSOs, 71 of them EU ten
pointers!  Moving up to 1864 Khz paid off big (we should have moved up the band
earlier).  This  opens a huge lead over the K3NA/W1KM team.  By sunrise 241 ten
pointers were added to the log.  By far, conditions on the second night were
the best.

After EU sunrise things slow down considerably until daybreak.  But we nail
NL7Z, ZL6QH, a T32, and several KH6s.

At sunrise weâ??re called by a JAâ?¦.now that was a first for us!

At breakfast we review the weekendâ??s events and document the station
improvements we should consider for next season.

After breakfast, return to the station to reconfigure the operating positions
so those who must leave can take home their equipment.  The slave RX (IC746)
and Alpha 99 are removed, the AL1200 becomes the run amp, and a refurbished
Drake L7 is connected on the mult station.

Throughout Sunday, members of the SJDXA continue to keep things rolling, adding
another 45 daylight QSOs, including 5 five pointers.

Conditions to EU the last two hours are marginal, but we add another 8 ten
pointers.  It starts to snow.  At 2330 we work XU7ACY at his sunrise for our
last multiplier during the contest.

At the final bell, we have 1553 QSOs (compared to 1547 last year) 367 ten
pointers (one more than 2006), and 94 five pointers.  Essentially itâ??s a dead
heat score wise compared to â??06, but weâ??re extremely happy with the results
given the â??punkâ?? conditions to EU the first night.  The log has been loaded
on the ARRL LOTW system.

Special thanks go to the owners of WYRS-FM for allowing us to use and enjoy
this wonder station facility, and also to members of the SJDXA for their
continuing support with station construction and maintenance.

Be be sure to look for the SJDXA entry in the CQ160 PH next month.  Their call
will be N2CW.

73,

John, W2GD - for the entire 160 TEAM