[3830] ARRLDX SSB WM5R SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wm5r@wm5r.org
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WM5R SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:56:01 -0800

Total:   2     2  Total Score = 6

Club:

Comments:

Station WM5R:
http://www.wm5r.org/mobile/
 * Icom IC-706 MkIIG
 * Icom AH-4 antenna tuner
 * Kenwood SP-50B speaker
 * 39" (100 cm) long vertical on trunk lip mount

I operated from my car, parked in a campground area of the
Sam Houston National Forest, near the northern end of Lake
Conroe, about 100 kilometers NNW of Houston.  I was in the forest
for an orienteering meet, and had limited time to play radio.

I am always surprised at how well my really small mobile antenna
can hear DX stations.  With just one meter of stiff wire, I could
easily copy high power stations all over the Americas and western
and northern Europe on 20 meters.  Even with 100 watts, though,
it was really tough for anyone to hear me.  I had to leave just
as 10 meters was starting to show life, or I might have had a few
more QSOs.