[3830] WiQP WI9WI/M SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jhfitzpa@wisc.edu
Subject: [3830] WiQP WI9WI/M SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:28:45 -0700
                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: WI9WI/M
Operator(s): WI9WI
Station: WI9WI/M

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: BAY, ASH, SAW, PRI,
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:  145     34
   40:  149
   20:   75
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  369     34  Mults = 73  Total Score = 88,692.0

Club: Four Lakes ARC

Comments:

Great weather, somewhat mediocre band conditions. I lost most of the first hour
due to battery failure, and a few more minutes a bit later due to failure of my
automatic antenna tuner. I ordinarily run everything off an RV battery. I spent
a couple of hours before the start setting up my new automatic tuner for my
Hi-Sierra screwdriver antenna, and making a few casual QSOs including a few in
the OKQP. Four QSOs into the test the battery failed. I thought I might have a
problem because a couple of months ago my trickle charger failed and the
battery got somewhat "cooked", but I thought it seemed to be Ok before the
start of the QP. So I spent the next 45 minutes or so hardwiring a rig runner
to the car battery (the usual inaccessable one on modern cars) and not doing a
kluge job of it. I then ran the rig and computer off the rig runner. Everything
worked well after that except the automatic screwdriver tuner refused to work
the first time I changed bands. After screwing around for almost 10 minutes I
finally gave up and rebooted everything...rig, computer, tuner, and it worked
fine after that.
Last year I had no 80m. My then new screwdriver refused to tune on 80 at all
even with a cap hat and an unun at the feed point. I resolved to fix this, but
of course I never got around to it. So I brought along my Texas Bugcatcher,
which I have used in many previous mobile ops and which works real well on 80,
and mounted it on the luggage bar, and used it exclusively on 80. With the new
tuner on the screwdriver for 40 and 20, and an antenna switch to switch to 80
it was a relief not to have to get out of the car to change bands after the
last 10 or so years of doing this.  I worked ZERO Wisconsin stations on 40 and
20 (254 QSOs), so 80 was very needed. In spite of the somewhat occasional high
noise levels there were lots of loud stations on 80 and even 40. Thanks to all
who called in, especially quite a few DLs, an I, a CU,  UT6IDX (on 40), and a
first for me in this one, a JA. VP2E was VERY loud on 20 and 40. Always glad to
pass out some of the rarer northwestern counties to the deserving. Thanks also
to the WARAC for the long term sponsorship of this event..73

Jim