[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K9MU/9 Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9mu@k9mu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF K9MU/9 Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 18:51:53 -0700

-------------------
Total:  78     33  Total Score = 2,607

Club: Chippewa Valley VHF Contesters

Comments:

Equipment:
6M: 5 ele @ 30' w/ 100w
2M: 12 ele @ 35' w/ 100w
440: 1/4 wave whip w/ 3w

I operated from northern Wisconsin near Cable, WI (EN46if). Fellow CVVHFer,
Dave N9TTX/R did a northern rove and accounted for 9% of my QSO's. The bands
seemed to be OK, just not a lot of action from the northwoods. Thankfully the
fish were biting and the 807's were cold! My best QSO was with John, WA0VPJ/R,
in EN13 on 2M SSB. John's rover continues to become more prominent each
contest.

I was on the very northern fringe of the sporadic E opening on Saturday. From
about 20:20z to 21:20z, I worked the following stations: W5DN EM20, AB5GU EL29,
W5PR EL29, K5GZR EM20, K5QE EM31, KA5WZY EL18, K5UIC EM32. The K5QE super
station was the first and last station heard.

The local activity hours seemed to work from EN46. I could tell that the guys
down in the twin cities were calling and turning their antennae more often but
still didn't hear anything from the Madison/Milwaukee/Chicago areas. I'm sure
the majority of that is due to my meager antenna system. The scheduled activity
periods created something to look forward to. It made me stick to the radio and
get more aggressive with calling, tuning, and turning the antlers. Perhaps this
could become a regional contest norm?

73 'til January Sweeps,

Justin K9MU