[3830] ARRL June VHF W7YAQ Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W7YAQ Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 23:22:06 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  47     27  Total Score = 1,269

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Since my newly assembled K3 covers 6 meters, I thought I'd take a listen and see
what I could hear.  So connected it to my trusty R5 vertical, the only antenna I
have up at my new QTH.  Saturday didn't hear much, and with a 5:1 SWR didn't
even try to make a QSO.  Sunday morning I was hearing some stations loud enough
to copy and actually managed a CW QSO over the mountains with Tree K7RAT in
CN85, then one with WJ9B in EL89 in Florida.  These were the first W7YAQ six
meter QSOs in 54 years of hamming!

But it's Rodeo weekend here in Sisters, Oregon, so time to QRT and go to the
Kiwanis Breakfast and the afternoon rodeo performance.

When we returned I turned on the rig around 0000 UTC the band was hopping!!
S9+20db signals from Southern California and Arizona to my R5!!  I guess there
is something to this "magic band" after all!!  I was pleased to make contacts
with 27 grids, 8 states, and 3 XE stations.

I'll look forward to a better showing when I get a real antenna and more
experience on the band.

Thanks for the QSOs and 73,
Bob
W7YAQ