[3830] CaQP NI6T M/SCntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, garry@ni6t.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP NI6T M/SCntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 21:02:21 -0700
                    California QSO Party

Call: NI6T
Operator(s): NI6T,K6VVA
Station: NI6T

Class: M/SCntyExp HP
QTH: KING
Operating Time (hrs): 23

  160:
   80:  158    170
   40:  193     24
   20:  346    151
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

We (NI6T and K6VVA) activated Kings County, an agrarian backwater in the
southern San Joaquin Valley. Rick had found our QTH with Google Earth--a
desolate fuel stop off I5 with two roach motels, 7 fast-food restaurants
(Locust Heaven) and a downslope to the east.
   The key to the KINGdom was a 40 ft. flagpole with a broken pulley in front
of one motel's office. Rick had talked the mgr.into letting him fix the
flagpole--which we would then use. This we did! On Friday, we used that pole to
erect inverted vees for 80, 40 & 20m, but not w/o an extended bout with Murphy
before all was ready. We wound up short on coax--we reached the radio with
several coax barrels and with one foot to spare.
   Other than staying up too late Saturday night and blowing off 40m pre-SR on
40 in favor of sleep, we did OK, but with our modest antennas 40 SSB was a
bust, as were 160, 15 and 10m. So we did 2/3 CW, and Rick did a 115 hr on 20CW
with his own call on Sunday to keep from gg crazy squeezing out one Q at a
time. We suffered from TV garbage, line noise and RX overload. We used a TS480s
and an AL600.
   Garry's reward for stoically flogging the last hours was our last two
mults--VY1MB (his #36) and VE5MX (his #102). Rick's reward was a post-contest
tour of the drive-in windows of three fast food restaurants.