[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:49:03 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   10     6        6
   40:   22    10       10
   20:   57    17       24
   15:  102    18       46
   10:    0     0        0
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Rig:  Elecraft K-2

Antennas:
    3 el SteppIR up 32 feet
    HF-2V Butternut Vertical
    DX-LB trap dipole

Usually when I operate from my home QTH, it is hopeless to compete in the
world, so I do a single band of some sort.  It is tough to push the sleep
deprivation when you know you will be lucky to be in the top half!

But I did it, and if this year's scores are similar to last year's scores, I
will be lucky to be in the top half.  And to get that wonderful result, I had
only 4 1/2 hours of sleep from Friday through Sunday night.!

The only opening to Europe for me from out here in San Diego was from 14:30 to
15:30 Z on Sunday morning!  But it was exciting when it happened, and I was
able to work 9 Europeans, all new mults and some double mults.

My best Qs outside that opening were:

80 M- JH1OGC on one call! The only JA to hear me! INCREDIBLE EARS!!!
40 M- AO8A on one call.
20 M- T32CXX
15 M- 3V8BB and ZK2DF. Also IS0/K7QB and D4C
10 M- Only heard one very weak LU despite listening regularly on both days.

I have never worked so hard for so little, but that is life on a small city
lot! But those "best" Qs listed above make it all worth it!

...Bill Parker  W8QZA / W6QU