[3830] CQWW SSB 4L0A(4L4WW) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gia@4l4ww.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 4L0A(4L4WW) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:40:17 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 4L0A
Operator(s): 4L4WW
Station: 4L4WW

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Obcha
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:  170     7       41
   80:  681    15       68
   40:  750    23       88
   20: 1556    33       98
   15: 1102    19       72
   10:   14     5       11
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

First time SOAB on my third year of contesting at all. Was not an easy decision,
but I was encouraged by couple of others to try, and I am happy that I did enter
this category.
The first important outcome is that I can do all 48 hours and that with only 3
hours of sleep prior to the contest, I am really surprised. So thatâ??s a big
plus.
Second is that now I can see clearly the areas I need to improve and there are
some serious gaps. Mainly it has to do with SO2R use, some band change strategy
etc. My mult is self explanatory in that regard. I believe I have used only
about 70-80 percent of the capabilities the station has
The first half was very good, at least as I expected and I did some 3000 QSOs
with good runs especially on 15m. The second half started as well all right and
again had  good runs on 15m (but that died quickly) and then on very crowded 20m
with some good US openings. The real problems started when I moved on low bands
(started with 40m), not only I couldnâ??t run there were periods if 5-10
minutes not getting any calls. Simply looks I had no propagation, Europe was
very quiet on all low bands. The same picture was on 80m were usually I have no
problems and on 160m which was fantastic the first day. I was struggling for
couple of hours and became so angry and frustrated that quit contesting 3 hours
prior to its finish. Agree it is a bad decision (never do it again!) but at that
time seemed I ran out from options to change anything.
At the end I am left with below my expectations but as always with invaluable
experience.  I hope that M/S team which will take part in CW part will show the
real strength of the station and I want to wish them all the best
As for me see you next year again in SSB part.
73
Gia 4L4WW