[3830] SS CW WP3R(LZ4AX) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW WP3R(LZ4AX) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 18:43:49 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WP3R
Operator(s): LZ4AX
Station: WP3R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PR
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  728
   20:  322
   15:  484
   10:    0
------------

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

First, my apologies for the late post. I didn't have access to the Internet
until I came back home late last night and then had to spend most of the day
today at the doctor's office.

It all started 2 months ago, when WA3FET told me that Rich is not going to do
the SS this year as he will be busy with the elections. Without thinking too
much, I just responded that if no one else wants to go I might think about
that. However, once I started considering the trip seriously, I kept finding
only negatives associated with it. First, I'm very close (first or second week
of December) to my dissertation defense and taking 12 days off (2xCQWW + SS) at
this time is not such a brilliant idea. Next, I have a birthday on Thursday
before the SS. Considering the 4 hour drive to Dulles Airport on Friday, that
seriously limited the amount of cognac I was allowed on Thursday night. Last,
but probably the most important, was the fact that everyone would expect me to
win operating a legendary station as WP3R. Or to make the top 3, at least. Yep,
it ain't easy walking in Rich's shoes. The size is way too large.
On the other side, there was a real danger of having the most victorious
station in the history of SS off the air exactly during the anniversary edition
of SS. And then when would I get another chance to operate a station in the
Caribbean ? Even if it is in the SS (as you can tell, I'm not a big fan of the
SS). This summer I pulled 2 quick stunts flying off to Bulgaria to do a couple
of contests. So I thought going to PR should be a breeze compared to that.
Anyway, at the end I told Jim that I'm going. He immediately started all the
required preparations. NP4A and WP3R made sure that all equipment and antennas
are perfect. Rich prepared a very detailed schedule of the contest, summarizing
all of his experience at WP3R. On Monday before the SS everything was ready. And
then on Tuesday I twisted my ankle and tore some things inside while playing
volleyball. I've done that before, so initially I wasn't worried much. Turned
out this time it was serious. On Thursday I still couldn't make a step without
the crutches and driving seemed like a little adventure. Still, I was
determined to go. Anyway, to cut it short, on Friday night I was in San Juan.
With crutches, a cast on my right foot, a huge backpack on my back and another,
smaller one, on my neck. Getting to the Arecibo observatory wasn't hard but then
I had to find the station in the dark and all I had was a map and several Google
Earth shots that Jim had prepared to help me find it. Luckily, the guard at the
observatory knew exactly where it is and offered to come with me. Needless to
say, I readily accepted and 5 minutes later we were there, drinking beer at 2AM
under the large stars. Later it turned out that during the day there is just no
way to miss the station. WP3R antennas dominate the whole countryside, even the
telescope.
Since I was already tired, I went to my sleeping bag, leaving most of the setup
for the morning. Speaking of the morning, the morning in the tropical forest
with its associated life is just beautiful. Some of this life bites though, and
then it itches big time ...
The setup went rather smooth, although I had to throw the crutches away and
jump around on one foot. One hour before the start everything was ready and I
started tuning the bands. 20 was full of stations and 15 seemed almost dead.
Several CQ's brought it back from the dead quickly and I knew that I had to
start there. First 10-15 minutes everything was going smooth, the stations were
coming one after another and I even started tuning the 2nd radio. At some point,
however, I got spotted. That put an end to my comfort immediately. I could tell
that most of the stations were not hearing each other as they kept calling
while I was trying to get my exchange. The rate went down the drain but at the
end of the hour it was still over 100, so I wasn't worried. Ritch's schedule
called for a transition to 20 on the second hour and I went there. The band was
still packed and I returned to 15. It dried out quickly and then I had to go to
20. It was still busy, the frequency wasn't too good and I dropped to 60-70
range. Luckily, 40 became runable soon and I went there. The rate improved a
bit but I still couldn't get it above 90. The pileup was unruly â?? European
style. By 6.30 UTC the rate went under 50 and I decided it was time to get some
sleep. Got up few hours later by annoying pain in my foot. It had become twice
bigger. I took the cast off but that only helped it grow even bigger. Angel
brought some ice later and until the end I was keeping it inside the bag of ice
for half an hour and on the table next to the keyboard for the next half an
hour. It was around this time when I started paying attention to the serial
numbers I was getting. Rich mentioned that at the beginning most of the big
guns will be ahead of me but I didn't expect that they will be sooooo ahead.
K5TR was 72 contacts ahead, W5KFT â?? 63, K5GO â?? 107. Even N2NT was ahead of
me. N2IC, however, topped everyone: 1038 against 870 at 11.40 UTC. Here I
realized that if don't do something I'm going to get beaten REALLY badly. There
was nothing else to do though, except concentrating on the radios and forget
about everything else. I went to 15 as soon as it opened and stayed there most
of the day, while tuning 20 with the second radio. On 15 there was a steady
flow of callers and it was tough to make contacts on the second radio with such
a long exchange. Tried to get 2 contacts going at the same time but lost the
rhythm several times and almost lost my run frequency. Few hours later the rate
on the run radio dropped down and the second radio became more useful. When I
was using it only as a receiver I kept checking how the leaders were doing.
With every hour I was getting closer and closer and that definitely was making
me feel better. The distance to N2IC was getting shorter also, but too slowly.
8 hours before the end he was about 80 contacts ahead; around 00UTC â?? about
40. At some point I thought that I might get to him but during the last 3 hours
the rate went below 40. The last hour only reminded me why I don't like the SS.
20 completely closed and I had to move the second radio to 80. I messed
something up with the 80m antenna setup and couldn't use it on transmit. I
couldn't find anyone new there anyway, so it didn't matter at all.
The trip back home was much easier and faster. My foot has lost all sensitivity
and I didn't have to be so cautious. It was kinda heavy on the gas pedal though.
By Monday noon I was already sitting on the plane, actually sleeping on the
flight back home.

All in all it was an exciting trip. I saw and experienced things that I have
never seen before. Jim has built some really impressive station which can be
competitive not only in SS and ARRL DX. It was a real pleasure to operate it.
Despite some minor problems, if I had to do it all over again, I would do it in
a heartbeat. Well, I'll just make sure I have the repellent with me. The only
thing that I feel sorry about is there was absolutely no time left to meet the
local contesters. And I'm sure we have a lot to talk about.
Now I'm back home, laying in my own bed with my foot hanging 2 feet above my
head (it did regain its sensitivity and hurts like hell), having tea with a
drop of something, listening to Iron Maiden and typing this writeup. Once I'm
done, I will have to forget about the radio until CQWW CW. Chapter 2 and 4 are
due this Thursday !

Congratulations to Steve N2IC for the well deserved win ! Gator @K5TR and AG9A
@N0NI came up with the same score as mine, despite my obvious advantage. Great
job, guys ! Congratulations also to N2NC @N2NT. 1374 translated into southern
coordinates gives something around 1600 !

My sincere thanks to Jim WA3FET, Angel WP3R, Pedro NP4A and Papo, and Rich
KE3Q, for all of your work, help and encouragement.

73, Alex LZ4AX