[3830] SS SSB KC5R Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB KC5R Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:12:45 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: KC5R
Operator(s): KC5R
Station: KC5R

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  142
   40:  150
   20:  253
   15:  162
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

I brought out the "West Coast Offense" and spent more time on the higher bands
this year. Also, I was dragging early Saturday night after a great start, so I
caught a little extra sleep (so I ended falling shy of 24 hours by about 20
minutes of op time).

As for the sweep, I really thought I wouldn't get one, as I was missing 13 on
Sunday morning. By Sunday afternoon with 4 (NL, MB, NT, and PR) to go, I
managed to squeeze through the VO1 pile-up and the grab a relatively "easier"
VE4. While running high on 20m around 2130, I heard an ever increasing splatter
above me - turns out is was an instant pile-up for VY1EI. Damn packet!

With no luck in getting through, I had just about given up on the sweep and was
concentrating on "rate" (and when you're QRP, you use that term loosely), as it
was about time for my last 30 minute break at 2300. I figured I do a quick band
scan with the beam NW, and low and behold I ran into VY1EI calling CQ with no
takers about 1 KC next to someone who was practically covering him up - So I
called him and put NT in the log "unopposed".

I figured luck may be with me, so I next swung the beam southeast and scanned
across, and found a KP4 in some net, that was being called by several hundred
folks. When they asked him when he was licensed he said "I don't remember -
either 1994 or 1995". He never really clarified what his check was to anyone,
so I wasn't going to "go there". Besides, I think half the band was in that
pile-up.

After eating and getting back on around 23:30, I figured before hitting 40/80
I'd do one more scan of 20 and bang - I found WP4SK who was loud, with a small
pile-up and beaming at me. I think it took 2 or 3 calls, but I managed to get
him in the log for the sweep. Chalk one up for the Q-patrol.

As for conditions - 15 was great to the west. 20 was...well 20. And 40 was
maybe too good, if you could avoid the broadcasters and keep from having
someone jump in on your frequency when you turn the beam to work someone, and
then they moan when you turn it back. It always amazes me when that happens and
the guy acts like he's been on the frequency for an hour when he knows he just
jumped on. They should try to "pick on someone their own size".

Anyway, some oddities: I worked 10 Idahos, and more than 25 SV, SCV, MDC, VA,
IL, and MN. I worked 2 or more of every section except PR, AR, NL, MAR, MB, SK,
and NT.

Funny items (besides the PR station who didn't know his check). I had a guy who
I helped give me his #1 exchange and then when I asked him for his year of his
first license, he asked me to stand by while he went to ask his XYL. He told me
she'd remember (yes I stood by and had a good laugh)! Also, after a good start,
I gave out my number 120 or so, and when the guy gave me his report with "U"
and realized I was 3-4 QSOs ahead of him said, "It's great to know I'm getting
my butt kicked by a QRP station". I told him not to worry, it would be short
lived.

See you next year. -Al KC5R