[3830] CQWW CW K3ZM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pbriggs@cfw.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3ZM SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:12:21 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3ZM
Operator(s): K3ZM
Station: K3ZM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:  183    16       64
   80:  652    25       87
   40:  650    28       93
   20: 1194    30      110
   15:   76    18       44
   10:    6     5        5
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

SO1R  Slow Operator One Radio

Propogation on the low bands seemed quite workable, and there was only modest
QRN.  If 15 meters ever really opened to EU, then I missed it.

10 meters is very hard to make useful with only one radio (15 as well).  I
guess I'll have to install a different station configuration and learn how to
use it.

One highlight was having my CQ answered by VU2NKS at 2250Z on 40 meters.

Had only one small run going on 160 - the rest was all search and pounce
there.

On Saturday night, I was running EU on 80 meters near their sunrise and worked
about 75 stations while basically sleeping.  I have no recollection of this,
but the contacts are in the log.  Talk about auto-pilot.  I had slept for 1.5
hours on Friday night.  Then slept for 3 hours on Saturday night.

I went to bed on Friday night with 559 QSO's.  At the mid-point of the contest,
I had 1,599 QSO's and 1.85 meg.

Thanks to all the DX for answering my CQ's.  In particular, many thanks to the
endless stream of stations from the countries of the former Soviet bloc - lots
of fine operators.

Extra thanks go to my XYL, Margaret, who gave me the FT-1000MP as a wedding
present (with INRAD and Collins filters in every single slot) and who helped me
(just the two of us) put up both towers and tram up the yagis.

Peter  K3ZM