[3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VA7ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:52:09 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 93  Total Score = 420

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Comments:

* FT-2000 (100W max.) + N1MM Logger
* 160M inverted-L (70' vertical, 65' horizontal)

SFI = 69   A = 1   K = 1

This felt like my worst-ever SP outing since 2004, but it was third-best :) In
its current configuration the trusty inverted-L just is not getting out.

Knowing the antenna was not quite right, I had a toolkit of alternative
configurations ready to go for Stew Perry: four 160M 1/4-wave slightly elevated
radials (either separated from or tied into the 80M elevated radials), and a
feedpoint attached only to about 300' of chainlink fence.

I tramped through 18 inches of snow about 10 times during Saturday evening,
trying various setups to see which worked best. Made my best distance with the
vertical fed against the chainlink fence (no other radials attached). Even
then, I was only making 6-point Qs vs. 2- or 4-point Qs with the elevated
radials.

Had just four 10-pointers, one 12-pointer (er, I think it was me he worked),
and one 15-pointer. When the snow is gone and weather gets better, I plan to
fix my 160M woes for good.

Thanks to the Boring lads for the contest and to all the ops for the Qs. It is
great fun, even with a compromise antenna.

Year-over-year:
2008    93     420
2007   155   1,032
2006    51     133