[3830] NAQP CW WQ2N(@W2VQ) Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pwhit007@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW WQ2N(@W2VQ) Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:42:08 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: WQ2N
Operator(s): WQ2N
Station: W2VQ

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NJ
Operating Time (hrs): 9
Radios: SO2R

  160:   18    13
   80:  144    41
   40:   32    16
   20:  162    40
   15:   28    11
   10:   18     9
-------------------
Total:  402   130  Total Score = 52,260

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Team: FRCSkyview

Comments:

First time operating QRP in any contest. The first hours were very slow QRP as
it took many calls to get through. It was very frustrating at times, but it was
very fun nonetheless!  10M had a surprise opening and it seemed that only few
knew about it.  I told many to try 10M as there was an opening to the SE.  Some
of them QSY'ed (thank you!) while many stayed on their selective bands.  My QRP
signal seemed to get out well on 10M during the opening.  I heard many on SSB
that were 20-30over!  Even worked NS/NB beaming SW.  I could of had the most
10M contacts and I was QRP!  I spent way to much time on 10M thinking more
people would realize it was open, which was not the case, and it lead to my
score decreasing. No regrets though.

I had to QRT before the contest ended because I saw an opening to shovel the
snow before the freezing rain came and decided to do that instead.  Now I don't
have to shovel the heavy stuff today.

Looking back now, it looks like I could have made a very good effort to crack
the top 10 if I did LP.  10M/15M were very favorable to the NE, which I did not
think was going to happen, so I did the QRP category.  Some very big scores so
far, cant wait to see the results.

40M was very difficult with snow/rain all day and night.  The noise was
continuously S9+ on all the antennas.  Wish 40M could have been better,
hopefully it will improve for the WPX RTTY test coming up, which we will be M/2
with my call.

IC 7700 (new!) and IC 756 PRO III power down to 5W
Antennas: Force 12 C4 @ 40FT, C3SS @ 40FT, Dipole for low bands at 55FT
Tried doing SO2R, but it gave me a headache.