[3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n3bb@mindspring.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW N3BB Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:43:51 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   81    30
   80:  187    47
   40:  397    52
   20:  456    50
   15:   37    11
   10:    4     1
-------------------
Total: 1162   191  Total Score = 221,942

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: Austin Powers Pickers

Comments:

With the weather forecast cold and dry and windy, I figured it would be
curtains for me from a line noise standpoint. In fact, at nine-thirty
Saturday morning, I had S7 noise on all bands, and spent a half hour
sitting in the shack rotating the antennas to try and find some directions
which would be less noisy, even if I was pointed at lower Slobovia. Then,
for some miraculous reason, the noise gods looked kindly on me and the
noise abated, until at eleven AM, it was the best I have heard in a long
time, certainly outside of our rare still and moist weather. So when the
bell rang at noon, I was able to use all my antennas and point them at
directions where there are a lot of US hams! Glory day!

There is always noise on 15 and 10, but it was a manageable S3 to S5 and
with the 500 Hz CW filters, that is tolerable. For the first time, I was
able to use the new three-stack on twenty meters, which now has a third
five element yagi fixed on Washington DC, roughly, mounted to the side of
the twenty meter tower at eighty feet. This height has one S-unit more gain
than the high yagi. I have been telling K5NA and others that if I could
ever use the three stack, I thought it would play better on twenty meters
and even, if I could entertain the thought, be "K5TR-esq" on twenty meters.
Wow! So I could and I did. I had two yagis on the NE USA and one yagi on
northern W6, and let me tell you, it really played. No noise, no anything,
but a constant stream of callers on twenty meters. I had no trouble getting
very good pileups and no trouble with encroachers.

I decided to take more off time in the daylight, betting that the afternoon
rates would slacken off from times to times, and that 15 and 10 would not
open much if any. That bet turned out to be correct. My off times were:

2003-2033Z 31 mins
2200-2229Z 30 mins
0248-0317Z 30 mins
0531-0559Z 29 mins

I took two breaks in the daylight, both approximately a half hour. Both
times, the rate meter was sagging on 20 meters, and I found the well
refreshed and full again when I came back. But in general, I spent most of
the contest with the rate meter between 120 and 135 for the last ten
minutes. I used both radios all the time, always CQing somewhere and S&Ping
on the second radio. There were a few times when I lost my run frequency
when trying (unsuccessfully) to move people. It was hard to find a new run
frequency at times, since everyone was bunched on twenty meters.

The decision to take off the last (almost) half hour was dicey, depending
on how late 160 got good, and how many people would be on then. It's only
ten PM when the contest ends on the west coast, and so 160 is not fully
open. I suppose it was a good bet, but I felt that 160 was getting better
all the time when I had to stop.

My goal in the NAQP is to make at least 200K points, and I exceeded that,
and probably set a PR. I just now looked at the 3830 claims. It looks like
scores are better the farther west it goes. The Winter NAQP and Springs are
better for the west coast.

My strategy was to run more and to move less frequently. Other than some local

moves, there were only a handful of successful moves, and they all were
late between 40/80/160 in various combinations. I tried several times to
move known good stations to 15 meters in the afternoon, but none were
successful. I kept listening to ten meters and never heard a station
outside of the local folks who kindly QSYed for me. I ran on 20, then on
40, and some on 80 and 160 at the end.

Fifteen had two tiny spotlight openings-both long: one to MA (only MA, no
other W1 or W2 states!) and VE1, and one to extreme W6-W7-VE7. That latter
one was centered on WA and VE7 but expanded to northern CA and OR as well.
I also had a scratchy QSO with a QRP VE6 who came up out of the noise and
called me when I tried to move someone to 15. But all in all, 15 never did
open. Or at least I missed it. Note, it is clear I did miss some stuff based on
K5PI's numbers at W5KFT.

The bands all went through some "hot" and "not hot" periods. There were
times I was not able to get VE3s on 80, and later, I got most everyone on
one call. Ditto on 160.

The great west coast scores blow me away. Congrats to some amazing S/O
scores!!

Here are some numbers:

   160CW       81          81         81      30
    80CW      189         189        187      47
    40CW      400         400        397      52
    20CW      459         459        456      50
    15CW       37          37         37      11
    10CW        4           4          4       1

  Totals     1170        1170       1162     191

     Final Score = 221942 points.

Rate:

HOUR  160CW    80CW    40CW    20CW    15CW    10CW    TOTAL   ACCUM
   ----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------   -----   -----
    18       0       0       0     132       3       0     135     135
    19       0       0       0     103       7       0     110     245
    20       0       0       0      38       9       1      48     293
    21       0       0       0     118      16       0     134     427
    22       0       0      12      44       0       0      56     483
    23       0       0     111      23       0       1     135     618

     0       0       5     126       0       0       0     131     749
     1       1      36      80       1       1       1     120     869
     2       0      25      70       0       0       0      95     964
     3      29      46       0       0       0       0      75    1039
     4      42      37       1       0       0       0      80    1119
     5       9      40       0       0       1       1      51    1170

   TOTAL    81     189     400     459      37       4

160CW
Tx      Nm      Mo      Il      Va      Fl      Nc      Ca      Ia      Nh
Al      Md      Wi      Ar      Mi      In      Sc      Ok      Nj      Mt
Pa      Oh      Ga      Mn      Tn      Co      Ms      Or      Nv      Ma

  80CW
Sc      Nc      Nm      Ar      Ks      Va      Ky      De      Mt      Mo
Pa      Tn      Fl      Mn      Tx      KP4     vE7     Or      Mi      Wy
vE3     Ok      Nh      Wi      Co      La      In      Md      Wa
Al      Ga      Il      Ia      Ca      Ms      Az      Ct      Ut
vE2     Ma      Oh      Ny      Nv      Nj      Ne      Vt      Sd

  40CW
Il      Md      Pa      vE3     Me      Oh      vE1     Or      Ne
Mi      Nc      Tn      La      Vt      Ca      Ky      Mo      Nh
vE5     Mn      Al      Va      Ny      Sc      J3      Wy      Wv
Ar      Fl      Nm      Co      Nj      Wi      Wa      vE7     Ms
Ma      vY2     Tx      Ks      Ia      In      Nv      KP2
Ct      Ga      Ok      De      Ut      Az      Ri      Ak

  20CW
Al      Nj      In      Wi      Wv      Wy      Ma      Ia      La      vE6
Or      vE3     Sc      Mi      Pa      Ny      Md      Tx      Nh      Nv
Nc      Oh      Fl      Ok      vE1     Ga      Mt      Ky      Me      Vt
Il      Mn      Wa      Va      De      Ct      Co      vE5     Az      vE2
Mo      Tn      Ks      Ca      Ms      Id      Sd      Ut      Ak      vE4

  15CW
Tn      Ma      vE1     Wa      KP2     Ca
KP4     Tx      vE6     vE7     Or

  10CW
Tx

I have seen no scores other than K5PI's, and Robert did his usual great job.

Thanks to all the CTDXCCers who got on, and a special "tip of the hat" to
Susan, who did a nice effort from the K5NA/K5DU station. I know she has CW
ringing in her head this morning.

Jim George N3BB