[3830] ARRLDX CW W3UA SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ua@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3UA SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 16:49:17 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3UA
Operator(s): W3UA
Station: W3UA

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 23
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  944    92
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  944    92  Total Score = 260,544

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I got back from Russia on Wednesday, tired like hell, so all band operation was
out of questions. Could not even stay awake all nights long, which probably
cost me a couple hundred Qs and a few mults. Anyway, was not in a mood for
serious competition, and didn't achieve the goal I set (1000Q x 100 mults) by
far... Power lone noise on the first night was a bit louder than the band
noise, but not much -- overall, without the beverage I lost in the infamous ice
storm (fortunately, my only loss back then) I had trouble copying 100W Europeans
sometimes -- although certain "usual suspects" like VK6HD were quite copyable
even over long pass...

Overall, quite uneventful contest -- except for a few nice mults which called
me (thank you guys!!!), it was just digging through the noise while running,
and some limited S&P when the conditions were not all that good. Worked one new
country on 80 (T2) -- the rest are mostly good old friends.

I always wonder how some people precisely measure their power to 1 percent
(88W) or even to 0.1 percent (555W). I think the next step, to make life more
exciting for poor runners, the weak guys should not just send an odd number,
but change it every time they send it, according to the last reading of their
wattmeters. That would make this contest even more exciting.

Finally -- I tried to submit the log via e-mail -- and my e-mail bounced,
claiming that W3UA is not a valid call (ouch!). I tried to complain and sent an
e-mail to Contest Branch... no luck either. "Mail appears to be unsolicited".
Wow! Hope ARRL folks will fix it before I forget to send the log again (like I
did last year -- and lost my 2nd place in the US on 40).