[3830] ARRLDX CW K1KI M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, frenaye@pcnet.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1KI M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:05:16 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): K1KI KM1P
Station: K1KI

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: ct
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:  173    59
   80:  588    82
   40:  879    98
   20: 1565   106
   15:  371    83
   10:   14     4
-------------------
Total: 3590   432  Total Score = 4,622,832

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This was a "civilized" two-person multi-op.  Each of us got plenty of sleep each
night.

We took 3.5 hours of prime time off Saturday afternoon to swap out the rotator
on the 40m beam.   It was mostly northeast the first night but was moving +/-
30 degrees in the wind.  After the rotator was replaced it worked pretty well,
but the band was noisy - signals were much better on the beverage.   Had back
to back 100+ hours starting at 23z to Eu on 40, followed by the realization the
beam was pointing SW instead of NE.  Easily fixed though...

Nothing worked except for ZZs from 0830-11z Saturday and 04-11z on Sunday.

In the last sunspot minimum I don't think 10m was ever so bad - though there
was bad powerline noise towards South America back then.  All 10m QSOs happened
in less than 30 minutes around 4pm Sunday - it was just PYs for 15 minutes, then
LU CX and P40LE. A couple of PYs made it to 59+10 for ten minutes or so. Heard
but couldn't work whisper weak PJ2T and J7N.

Enjoyed 80 and 160m this year - both bands were very quiet.  On Sunday
afternoon we had several hours of loud rain/snow static that made the top
15/20m antennas and the 40m beam useless for receiving, and the wet snow
knocked out the satellite internet connection for the last 4.5 hours - so we
didn't go packet spot hunting - just some nice runs on 20/40/80 until the end.

Despite the crummy conditions, 15m was interesting - had a decent run Saturday
morning into Europe, but most signals were just above the noise level.  Seemed
like another couple of stations always showed up each time we tuned the band
later in the day.  Not quite as good on Sunday but put some northern Eu
multipliers into the log.

A nice relaxing weekend of contesting!

          -- Tom