[3830] ARRLDX CW N2RM M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2rm@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N2RM M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:57:55 -0800 (PST)
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N2RM
Operator(s): N2RM, K3ZV
Station: N2RM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Southern New Jersey
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:   50    38
   80:  371    62
   40:  766    86
   20: 1889   107
   15:  281    58
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 3357   351  Total Score = 3,527,500

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

160 Meters
I put up a 160 meter half wave sloper from the 150 foot tower several days
before the contest and this was it's maiden voyage.  It seemed to work fairly
well, but I think it had directional effects caused by its middle being
southwest of the 110 foot top loaded tower which is resonant around 160 meters
thereby acting like a reflector.  I probably should put up another sloper on
the northeast side of that 110 foot tower to take advantage of this effect in
that direction.  160 meter antennas are large and even from a 150 foot tower to
some extent  it looks like a low dipole.

80 meters
The broken 80 meter antenna (2 element wire beam at 120 foot apex) was not
fixed until Saturday afternoon but made for an exciting hour or so on Saturday
and Sunday afternoon due to being  fresh meat on the band and probably also to
it working well.  We never seem to be able to stay through european sunrise and
therefore our low band score suffers.

Other bands
20 meters was wild again with loads of callers both mornings.  15 meters while
not open that well, at least was open.

Again I was assisted by K3ZV who operated most of 40 meters and alot of 20 and
15 meters.

Maybe next year sunspots will be again on the rise.

73, N2RM