[3830] WAE SSB 4O3A(DL1MGB) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, 4o3a@tt-com.me
Subject: [3830] WAE SSB 4O3A(DL1MGB) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 03:38:26 -0700
                    WAE DX Contest, SSB

Call: 4O3A
Operator(s): DL1MGB
Station: 4O3A

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Obosnik
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

   80:  109    30    40
   40:  829   324    70
   20: 1054   849    91
   15:   92   120    38
   10:    3     0     3
-------------------------
Total: 2087  1323   634  Total Score = 2,158,136

Club: SKY Contest Club

Comments:

Comment:
I had the great pleasure to operate from Rankoâ??s station in Montenegro. Just
the day before I arrived to station, all antenna work was finished and the
station was ready to go. Just installed the German keyboard and I was ready to
receive QTCs. It was my first time I operated with SO2R technique and I was
really fascinated how easy and efficient it was. So it was a pity that the
microham MK2R+ somehow quit and refused to work. So I had to switch to table
microphone on radio A and to hand microphone on radio B. It needed some time to
get used to but it really worked well. Most of the contest was done without F1
and table microphone.

In general conditions on the high bands were better the first day. Nothing
heard on 10m on the second day. On 20m I had to experience that the master.dat
doesn't help with all that KJ1ABC/M stations. And of course all with numbers
below 10 and without an idea what this guy wanted to say: "Any QTCs?" So I
missed somehow some 200-300 QTCs.

I really was scared to hear all the small stations from Germany working 4W6AL
and my 19 elements on the towers in Montenegro can't help me to get through the
pileup...But in the end propagation moved south and it was an easy one.

Walter DJ6QT sitting on Madeira didn't want to give QTCs to me. Every time I
asked he said: "Sorry, just gave the last one." I think that was the revenge
for Dayton where he always missed the Bavarian wheat beer in the BCC
suite...hi.

Last one: I was really lucky with the weather. The whole weekend we had great
weather with sunshine and temperatures over 25 degrees. In the morning after
the contest it started to rain heavily and big thunderstorms were around the
building. Somewhere in the shack I even smelled something burned...Not to be
mentioned if this happened at the weekend...

Many thanks also to Achim (YU1YV) who was a great help with everything on the
mountain top (preparing meals, turning Tower 2 and the 80m Yagi, ...)!

And also many thanks to Ranko that he gave me a chance to operate this
wonderful station!

Antennas:
80m: 2ele shortened Yagi
40m: 3ele fullsize Yagi