[3830] SS CW K6LA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K6LA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:34:05 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  247
   40:  445
   20:  626
   15:   72
   10:
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

So Ken, what were you doing when CW SS started?

Oh, I was a third of the way through installing a backup on the computer that
apparently the 2nd iteration of PowerSDR (for the 2nd K3s panadapter display)
caused to crash, which I discovered 20 minutes before the contest started and
after which Windows wouldn't boot. Everything was running great on Friday, and
again when I checked a couple of hours before the contest.

This was not a fun time for me. I was trying to figure out how long it would
actually take to have Writelog ready to go. Should I start with an off time? I
concluded it would be ready before 30 minutes into the contest. So I started
with paper and pen and paddles.  After the backup finished and the computer was
rebooting, the key got locked down. I owe a big apology to WD0T for screwing up
our QSO and then his frequency. I'm sure it seemed like I took forever to turn
off the radio.

I had to reboot more than once. When Windows booted during a QSO with WP3R, it
took over control of the W5XD box and changed the radio I was sending on. Sorry
OM.

By the time I again had computer control of my radios and Writelog was running,
it was 2147 and I had 12 QSOs in the log and finished the first hour with 30. I
thought about throwing in the towel a number of times Saturday, but I'm pleased
that I persevered. The rates on Sunday afternoon allowed me to hit 1400 QSOs.

I worked at least two of every section except only one NL. Thanks for VO1MP for
calling me early Sunday morning, although I did hear him without takers Sunday
afternoon.

73, Ken, K6LA