[3830] CQWW CW VK6AA(@VK6ANC) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk2ia@vkcc.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK6AA(@VK6ANC) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:43:25 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VK6AA
Operator(s): DL3DXX, DL5LYM, VK2IA, VK6LW
Station: VK6ANC

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Perth, WA
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   11     8       11
   80:  338    29       77
   40: 2820    38      131
   20: 1770    38      134
   15: 1421    31      107
   10:  237    19       44
------------------------------

Club: VKCC / BCC

Comments:

What had been originally planned by Kevin VK6LW and myself as a low-profile two
man multi-single effort, took on a different dimension after Dietmar DL3DXX and
Tom DL5LYM asked if they could join us. We decided in the last minute to give
M/2 a go.

NCRG's club station VK6ANC was designed and built from the beginnning with M/2
functionality in mind and this was the first time that a serious CQWW M/2
effort was made from Ham Heaven in Perth.  The week before and during the
contest we went through a steep learning curve, resolved a number of issues and
encountered quite a few (unexpected) teething problems.  All of it is now used
as a basis for further improvements of the station in order to get VK6ANC ready
for next year's contest season.

We all had a blast despite (almost) rock-bottom conditions and a few
frustrating moments during the contest where reality and lack of time during
preparation caught up with us.

Low points
- Equipment failures (K2, linear amp, rotator of 15m
  beam, automatic antenna switching),
- 160 m antenna (quarter wave vertical) was a write off,
  10 QSOs in as many hours. We could hear well but could
  not be heard.
- Lack of sunspots (particularly not good when combined
  with long distance to major population centres)

High points
- Looks like we the old Oceania record for M/2 which was
  set during the sun spot maximum ia now history â??
  something we would not have expected at all under the
  current circumstances
- 40 m was the star performer with the 40 m-only result
  exceeding the current Oceania 40 m single band record
- Using beverages for EU and NA (a first at VK6ANC)
- Great team effort although the four of us had never
  operated together before
- Kevin's German has improved tremendously over the weekend

Thanks to the Northern Corridor Radio Group (NCRG â?? www.ncrg.org.au) for
using VK6ANC station & facilities as well as their fantastic support.

73
Bernd VK2IA/VK6AA