[3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 06:01:24 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC FM05
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 569  Total Score = 3,013

Club:

Comments:

Waited until after 2200 to start even though several European stations were
quite strong. I found conditions to be better then last year. Perhaps it was
that the band seemed quieter so signal to noise was better.

Had added a short vertical receive 4 square and that really helped. In years
past I would use the K3 diversity mode with the transmit vertical in one ear
and the selected beverage in the other.

This year having the 4 square available made it easy to listen in two
directions at once and when listening in the same direction provided many fills
as the signal bounced between the two antennas. Very nice addition.

As usual the K3 and the Alpha 91b performed perfectly. The K3 continues to
shine.

I found conditions to the west to be noisy so didn't listen that way often.
N6RO , KG7H were both quite loud. European stations that were exceptionally
loud were IV3PRK, LY7A, IK0HBN, OZ7YY and OH2BO.

I worked more then 100 more Qs  vs last year and about 103 Europeans, no South
America, a couple Caribbean, one JA and one KH6. Heard JD1BMH and ZL3IX but too
late to work. DX total was 38 countries which surprised me since, as at least
one other write up noted, the band never did seem full.

As always enjoyed this contest and am already looking forward to it in 2010.

HNY  Ron   N4XD