[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, locustqrv@k6vva.com
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 20:01:46 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - February 5

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): .5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   2      1
   80:  13      7
   40:  18     10
   20:  14      9
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  47     27  Total Score = 1,269

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Some discomfort operating due to a nasty fall on Locust Peak today.  Didn't
realize my foot had gotten snared in some Dacron line partially buried in the
dirt, and when I started for the truck - WHAM - I went down hard.  It felt like
someone had grabbed my legs from behind.  Thankfully nothing broken, but the
sore shoulder and wrist are not fun ;-(

We dug out enough of the two previous earthslides to narrowly eeeeek through
and make it up the mountain.  Driving with my outside wheels right at the edge
of the steep drop-offs was scary (and probably dumb).  Replaced the broken
Carolina Windom 160 with a low NVIS 160m Inverted Vee.  One end is about 10
feet off the ground, but I figured anything was better than nothing, and we got
off the hill before the rain started.  Unfortunately, I went to 160m way too
late tonight and only had 2 Q's & 1 Mult there.

It was very strange to hear signals on 20m for a change.  I stayed too long,
and then too long on 40m before going to 80m.  Very surprised to hear so many
Sprint Big Guns show up in a Thursday NS - they typically wait until Friday
Night.  Mike/W9RE was right - big pileups.  Especially when all the heavies
show up, we need to SPREAD OUT more !!!

Quite bizarre to not work N4AF and some other regulars in a Thursday Night NS.

73 & Tnx for the Q's & Mults...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust