[3830] ARRLDX SSB K0TV M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0tv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K0TV M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 03:15:05 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K0TV
Operator(s): WO1N, K1BG, K1HI, K2TE, KB1TBU, N1ICE, N1IW, N1LAJ, W1END, W1ZZ,
WQ1Z, K0TV
Station: K0TV

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: FN42hr
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   50    38
   80:  420    80
   40:  865    98
   20: 1018   108
   15:  461    96
   10:   52    18
-------------------
Total: 2866   438  Total Score = 3,737,016

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This running of the ARRL DX SSB has to be one of the most enjoyable
efforts we've had in this contest. Everyone had a great time operating
and socializing. The equipment worked very well and all the operators
did a great job while having a great time.

In the week before the contest, I found several trees had been blown
down during a wind storm. Three pine trees came down right in the middle
of the 80/75 four square. To our GREAT fortune, they only landed on
radials. None of the verticals or their support lines were touched.
I don't believe I could have taken those trees down so perfectly if I
tried. The beverages weren't so lucky. A 60 foot pine came down on the
Northwest/Southeast beverage and I spent almost 10 hours carefully
taking the tree apart so the beverage and the walking paths near the
beverage could be cleared. Restringing of the wires was almost an
anticlimax to the effort. My chain saw and I got a lot of good exercize
so I don't feel guilty about missing the treadmill last week.

This year we got off to a great start on both 80 and 40 picking up
some prime spots right at the beginning of the contest. Kudos to the
40 meter operator at KC1XX for moving when they came on 1800 Hz above
me and I asked them to move a bit. Matt runs a first class operation
over there. His team is a class act. The first night on the low bands
was pretty good. The score was way ahead of last year's effort right
out of the blocks. The high bands were a bit dissapointing the first
day but improved a bit on the second day. 15 meters was up a bit from
last year as was 10 meters. The high bands weren't as good for the
SSB weekend as they were for CW. Those two meager sunspots weren't
enough to energize the high bands.

We had two new operators this year. John, N1LAJ did a repeat
performance from his stint here during the CW weekend and Scott,
KB1TBU, who is a new general, stopped by twice to find out what
contesting is all about. We put him in the chair at one point and he
had a ball. A surprise visit by N1IW rounded out a great weekend.

This contest's MVP award at K0TV goes to WO1N for his great effort.
When Ken wasn't operating, he did his usual general tidying job. He
always leaves the shack cleaner than when he arrives. Thanks Ken.
Even though he plays Felix to my Oscar, I really appreciate his work.
Ken also put in a great effort making the most number of total QSOs.
Surprisingly Ken made contacts on every band except 160, which is
one of Ken's favorite bands.

The equipment in the shack all worked well and nothing broke. All
the amplifiers survived as did the rigs. A couple of intermittent
antennas really did nothing to hamper the effort. Murphy generally
stayed away this year.

Thanks to everyone who called in and gave us points and multipliers.
Although we may put small efforts in some of the upcoming contests,
we'll probably not be doing any more major efforts until the fall
season. We'll see everyone in the fall for sure!

73, Jerry - K0TV