[3830] SS CW W1UJ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1uj@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW W1UJ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 14:29:20 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: W1UJ
Operator(s): W1UJ
Station: W1UJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WMA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  457
   40:  264
   20:  333
   15:   92
   10:    0
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

What a fun weekend.

Last week started the Contesting juices flowing with a M/2 CQWW SSB Effort at
KB1H.

Fortunaly napped for just over an hour just before the start.
I had all of the equipment fired up and tested in the days' before
with the NCCC NS Sprints, and this weeks SS warmups. all is well.

Started with 3el tribander at 32' and at a 20 degree tilt.
A brandy-new 40m full sized EDZepp replaced the 40m dipole.
A full sized 80m Dipole, and a "Military Mast/K1EBY Vertical" for 40m with 4
elevated radials.
a 500' NE/SW 2-wire Beverage RX antenna.

Opened up and started working the 2nd radio hard. The Murphy dude showed up
about an hour after moving to 80m when my brandy-new 80m dipole (real 12 AWG
wire
and 'FAT' RG213 coax feeding it) pow- SWR spiked and kicked amplifier off.
Needing 80m, I put 40m on the vertical, and tuned the 5/8 wave 40m Zepp up on
80m.
That ended up working great, and probably better than the dipole arrangement.

The only thing I think could be the problem with the 80m dipole is the
commercial
insulator feed-point thingie.  With 'lightning protection' - yikes.
Worked for years on my 40m without issues.
Thats coming out.

I started this with 2 goals, to beat last years' QSO counts and break 1000
q's.
Well I did that and then some, passing all ideas of what I thought possible
from home.

Getscores.Org is completely motivating.

The inside hardware performed well.
I borrowed KB1DFB's K3 for the second radio, so having 2 K3's is awesome.
I cant go back!  Had the 400hz filters on at 400hz and never touched them.

Setup is 2 K3's, Ten-Tec Titan, AL-80b, YCCC SO2R+ Box, N1MM Logger.

The K1XM/YCCC SO2R+ Box worked flawlessly-
Doubled last year's band change count;
(Howie, N4AF band-change-counting application)
# QSOs = 1147
# band changes = 332

Great to work you folks!
Jay W1UJ