[3830] SS CW WN3R SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wn3r@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW WN3R SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:31:28 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: WN3R
Operator(s): WN3R
Station: WN3R

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 17.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:   34
   40:  280
   20:   81
   15:   13
   10:    0
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Just a few Q's more than last year, but also a clean sweep. New Amp: Acom 2000a
(Boy, is it quiet and heavy!!!). I admit to spending way too much time trying
to get NE, NT, and QC. I can't believe QC was last!

Actually, I had more horsepower by a few watts, all the antennas worked, added
a couple of dipoles, BUT,  my new LCD monitor turned off way too often from RF
in the shack on certain bands.  I can't operate a computer and call CQ, so I
was S&P. No big news here, I'm really not a good CW contest op (actually the
mode doesn't matter). Nobody slowed down for me, so I used CWGet as a backup
for those 30+ wpm guys.

Here's the info on the two dipoles.  One was up about 45-50 feet above the
basketball court.  The other was in the woods at 7' with three parallel wires
on the ground. One 65' wire was under it and the other two were 6' to each
side. I found the article is on the internet. Most of the time, the signal
levels were the same though the noise on the lower antenna was lower.  I could
instantly switch between them.

The 80 meter dipole was a problem.  I even took it down to inspect the center
connections Sunday morning.  The problem turned out to be a defected relay in
the Six Pack.  With a little creative knob switching I was able to move it to
the 10 meter position. Unfortunately, it was Sunday morning when I figured this
out rather than on Saturday night.  Hence, so few Q's on 80.