[3830] WAE RTTY VE7AX Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mullis@shaw.ca
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY VE7AX Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 21:09:41 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: VE7AX
Operator(s): VE7AX
Station: VE7AX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Nanaimo, BC
Operating Time (hrs): 3

   80:   1     1           4
   40:   7     7          18
   20:  44    44   10     52
   15:  20    20          26
   10:   4     4           6
------------------------------
Total:  76    76   10    106  Total Score = 9,116

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I was enjoying this contest until about 10:00AM local time (PST) on Saturday
when my Cushcraft R6000 vertical antenna stopped working on 20 meters - it
wouldn't tune at all.  After trying everything I could think of - including
shaking it violently at the base to get rid of any moisture which might have
accumulated in the traps - I took it down to the garage and found a great hole
in the top of the 17 meter trap and significant charring.  I conclude that
after two years of excellent service from this antenna I have managed to
explode the 17 meter trap with my recently acquired 1kw linear amp - even
though I successfully worked high power in the JARTS RTTY and the CQWW SSB over
the last month.  On reading the fine print in the R6000 manual I find that the
antenna is rated at only 500W in continuous operating modes - such as RTTY. Oh
well - live and learn!

Hope to see you next weekend in the ARRL SS SSB if I can get the antenna fixed.

Cheers.