[3830] CQ160 CW W4ZV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, btippett@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W4ZV Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:25:58 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1563  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 69  Total Score = 864,640

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Some interesting stats tell the story:

QSOs     2009     2010      2011

z14       213      189       197
z15       260      144       141
z16        64       51        45
z17         3        1         2
z18         0        1         0
z19         0        1         1
z25        37        8         8

Total    1651     1542      1563

Soapbox lifted from my 3830 report last year (worth repeating):

"Just a few comments on operating.  I believe top-class rigs like the K3,
Orion
and Flex 3k (5k still has a 2.4 kHz spur problem) are allowing stations to
operate much closer together.  Of course we still have the key clicks, phase
noise and bad spurious on some signals (some of which may be intentional).
The
problem I see when trying to use ~300 Hz spacing (instead of 500 Hz) is that
too
many stations are calling off-frequency.  Even ~150 Hz off can create problems
when spacing is tight because you'll be outside the bandpass of the station
you're calling and also QRMing an adjacent station.  Hopefully as more rigs
adopt SDR capabilities, we'll see more stations zero-beating more accurately.
Europeans are much better at this than NA because they've had to live with
tight spacings for many years.  My hope is that as the K3 becomes more
popular,
it may also help improve the TX signal quality of many of the trashy signals
on
160 now."

IMPORTANT EDIT: (Flex 5k spur above has now been fixed...TU Flex!)

BOLD PREDICTION:

The USA winner will be either:

1.  On salt water (K3ZM)
2.  From Maine (K8PO)