[3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W4EF@dellroy.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW W4EF HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 21:19:55 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: W4EF
Operator(s): W4EF
Station: W4EF

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 1:40

   80:  88     1:40
   40:
   20:
---------------------
Total:  88     Mults = 29  Total Score = 2,552

Club: Phlegm Boys

Team:

Comments:

Rig: Yaesu FT-1000MP MK-V
Ant: 160 meter Inv-L

I had planned to operate from my remote station, but I got sick Thursday
night/Friday night for the second week in a row. Last week I was able to
recover and operate Saturday night by resting all day Friday, whereas this
Friday's bug pretty much took me out for the whole weekend. Guess I need to
take better care of myself. Anyway, between naps on Saturday afternoon/evening
I put in a leisurely 1 hour and 40 minutes on 80CW. I didn't have a CW computer
interface here, so I sent everything by hand with the FT1000MP MK5's built-in
keyer which was good practice. I slowed down from my normal speed which seemed
to help a lot. In fact, it was kind of fun not giving a rat's behind what my
score would be. Perhaps that's one of the secrets to success in the Sprint -
just focus on the QSO at hand and the rest will take care of itself.

Band conditions seemed kind of weird with close-in stuff varying wildly in
signal strength as if the FoF2 was well below 3.5 MHz. I don't know if it was
band conditions or just more people moving down from 40 meters, but it seemed
like conditions improved toward the end.

In any case, I am glad I was able to at least make a few QSOs and submit an
entry even though I wasn't feeling well. See you all next time hopefully for
the full 4 hours.

73, Mike W4EF.....