[3830] NA Sprint CW WD0T(@W7XU) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wd0t@mncomm.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW WD0T(@W7XU) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 21:18:07 -0800
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - February

Call: WD0T
Operator(s): WD0T
Station: W7XU

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 4.0

   80:  132   2hr10m
   40:   97    80min
   20:   31    30min
---------------------

Club:

Team:

Comments:

THANKS to Arliss, W7XU( no NOT N7XU OR K4XU!!)and Holly N0QJM, with an assist
from Nolan N0LAN guiding me to the QTH,  for allowing me to operate from their
station while I was in Sioux Falls, SD for a swim meet for my kids. Left the
meet with plenty of time for the 30 minute drive, however road conditions with
packed snow and poor visibility caused me to make it 5 minutes before the
starting bell, along with my poor navigation skills or lack thereof!

Rundown on the station, Arliss and family have 4 tall towers, but they are
primarily VHF oriented.

So, rundown as follows:

80m- Dipole at 110ft
40m- Dipole at 90ft
20m- NO antenna, used 80m dipole with tuner and LOW power.

Rig: K3 and Alpha amp on 40/80. 100w on 20m, see above. Writelog (had a problem
with the keying also, it would hang up after using F-keys, so had to use esc.
each time. Need to figure out.

So, not a bad setup overall, and thankfully for me 20m went long early,
so that didn't hurt given the antennas.  Arliss has a TH11, but it was not
functional at the time.

Sat down with 5 minutes to go before the starting bell, sweat running off my
face- jacket still on from cold wx, putting in the F-key messages, thankfully
Arliss had the radio and amp running, and antennas set up, thanks again
Arliss!!

Got off to a REALLY bad start, NO Q's on 20m for the first 4 minutes, off to
40m, then back to 20m later.  Ended up doing ok on 20m.

40m was very good but went long early, and 80m was outstanding, best I have
ever done there!

There were some ROCK CRUSHING signals, N5KO-Trey at W6NL, N5RZ- Gator,
W9RE-Mike, N6RO-Ken, W6YI- Jim/aka Dan, W6YX,  and many others, but these guys
stand out!

Overall, given that I had not ever operated HF from Arliss's QTH, and sat down
with 5 minutes to start, I was VERY happy with the results after the poor
start.

Hour breakdown: 72,69,76,43-- I think hour 4 was due to running out of stations
to work on 80m, with 40m being very long.

Congrats to all, and GREAT to work MANY of the Thursday NS gang. There are a
LOT of VY FB OP's in this contest!

73, God Bless, Todd WD0T