[3830] ARRLDX CW W4PM SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hmmjr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W4PM SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:31:50 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4PM
Operator(s): W4PM
Station: W4PM

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 32

  160:   58    46
   80:  212    76
   40:  436    90
   20:  265    85
   15:  229    82
   10:   44    30
-------------------
Total: 1244   409  Total Score = 1,526,388

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig: Ten Tec OMNI VII, Ameritron ALS-600 - 500W
Antenna: 176' center fed flat top up 55' + big balanced tuner

Conditions were very good especially on the lower bands.  This was my all time
high score in this contest and can be attributed not only to better propagation
this year but also to the additional 12 hours I spent operating than I normally
do.  40 meters was my money band and the only one I could get good runs going.
20 was as good as can be expected with single wire antenna and 15 was better
than I expected. 160 had some big signals from Europe especially the 2nd night
and I needed that because my antenna is rather poor for DX there.  80 meters
was very good but I spent more time on 40 where the Q's came quicker. 10 meters
was a big disappointment. My antenna does not do well on 10 and my local line
noise seems to peak there also. My amp decided it no longer likes to work on
10, but no big problem, because you have to hear them to work them and I didn't
hear much. Considering my score I expect to see some really big numbers posted
by the big gun single ops and multi-ops this year.

I picked SO Assisted as my class and that will translate to M/S for ARRL
contests.  Operating with DX cluster assistance is fun and really helped me
find multipliers and, at near the end, stations I had not worked.  I did not
use the skimmer feature on our cluster because it just clutters things up.
There were enough busted spots with the normal DX cluster operation.  You must
make sure the call is right by LISTENING and COPYING the correct call before
you log it from spot information! (Gee, what a novel idea!)

Thanks for the Q's.
73,
Puck W4PM