[3830] IOTA W6UX/P Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA W6UX/P Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 23:12:58 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: W6UX/P
Operator(s): W6UX,AE6RS,K6GEP
Station: W6UX

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: NA-144
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   80:
   40:   42      15
   20:  179      23      206      21
   15:    9       3        2       1
   10:
Total:  220      41      208      22  Total Score = 149,310

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Anacapa Island NA-144
Despite its ease of access by boat and short proximity to the mainland, NA-144
is rarely heard on the ham bands, and therefore is an excellent location for an
entry-level DX-pedition! The 1 hour trip to the island is $75, and the campsites
are only $20 per person. A DX-pedition for under $100!
Jeff W6UX, Tim K6GEP, and Rich AE6RS camped on Anacapa for the weekend of July
29-31, which coincided with the Islands on the Air (IOTA) contest. The IOTA
Contest weekend was chosen because IOTA Island stations can generate large
pileups. The NA-144 Channel Island entity is needed by about 75% of the
participants in the RSGB IOTA Program, and most of those are in
Europe. NA-144 had not been on the air in the contest for several years.
The major objectives for the trip were:
o Generate and work large pileups
o Learn the logistics of DX-peditioning
o Compete in the IOTA Contest (a distant 3rd)
The task once we got to Anacapa was daunting. We had to haul about 400 lbs of
equipment and water up 158 stairs (200 feet) and over to the other side of the
island, which was about 1/2 mile. The heaviest items were our AGM batteries,
totaling almost 200 Ah in capacity. Thankfully, Rich had the good idea to bring
along awheelchair to haul the stuff. It was pure genius because it was also used
as a chair at the operating position. Being the only ones there Friday, we had
our choice of camp sites. First up went our tents and then our two Spiderbeam
12m fiberglass masts with Par Endfedz vertical dipole antennas for 20
and 40 meters.