[3830] NA Sprint SSB KA9FOX HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint SSB KA9FOX HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 12:54:10 -0700
                    NA Sprint SSB Contest - September

Call: KA9FOX
Operator(s): KA9FOX
Station: KA9FOX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 4
Radios: SO2R

   80:   59
   40:  118
   20:   90
---------------------

Club:

Team: SMC #1

Comments:

Participation is increasing, which made this much more fun!  Thanks to everyone
that set their paddles aside and found their mics for this one!  And thanks to
those that organized club teams -- it really helped!!

QRN on 80 was perhaps the worst I've ever heard it and I really felt like an
alligator. Sorry to those that I gave up on.  I usually do pretty well on 80,
so it was a very big disappointment for me to have such a poor showing there.

Great to hear stations spreading out on 80 (3760-3790) instead of everyone
crowded in between nets/ragchews on 3800-3830.

Murphy found me this time out.  About 1/3 into the contest, when I would unkey
the mic, the receive signal was significantly attenuated.  I think it may be a
sticky TR relay in the amp?  But, I beat Murphy to the punch on another
problem... while chatting with KW8N 5 minutes after the contest.. BANG... the
amp died!  Bad problem, but glad it happened AFTER the contest!

For mults, I missed AK, IA, RI, SC, VT, VE2, VE5, VE8.  AL9A called me on 20,
but I just could not pull him through.  Thanks to K9VV for operating NP2X and
giving out the VI mult.  No other DX heard or worked (although KW8N says he
worked HI, TG and XE)

I checked the box for SO2R but did not use it except for a couple of QSOs.
Only 12 total band changes.

Lots of big scores out there -- congrats to NR5M, KW8N, K7SS, W7WA, KU5B, W9RE,
AA5B (K2UT), etc, etc.  Though not a winner, I'm happy with my results,
considering the relative small station here (one tower, one antenna per band)

So, all in all, I'm very pleased by the increased participation and for the
first time in a while, I took my headphones off after the contest and said
"Wow, that was fun!"

See you in February (please!)

73 - Scott KA9FOX

Rig:  FT-1000MP + IC-746