[3830] CQWW CW K7IA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7IA SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 18:42:47 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 22:26

  160:    8     8        7
   80:   33    12       25
   40:  230    22       75
   20:  115    25       53
   15:  114    25       54
   10:  106    23       50
------------------------------
Total:  606   115      264  Total Score = 623,076

Club:

Comments:

All S&P.

I'm still discovering how to use newly installed antennas and now  enjoying
"old" (s/n 388) K3, returned from Electaft earlier in the week, after five
weeks away (shipping time, waiting in the queue--which had unexpectedly become
longer than  originally estimated, and from considerable excellence in testing,
investigation, repairs, and upgrades at the bench).  Wow! It's a new radio--just
as my pal on the bench had promised!!

S&P may be slow going, but it offers the challenge of busting pileups.  And
with more and more contesters taking advantage of cluster spotting, the swarms
of callers in pileups have caused DX ops to largely discontinue identifying
themselves frequently.  While it's easy to find the running op, figuring out
his callsign is impossible for the "unassisted."  How 'bout an ID every now and
then guys??

I wasted a lot of time on Friday evening waiting around for DX ops buried in
their pileups to identify themselves.  By Saturday AM, I had decided to give
them 3-5 QSOs to ID before bailing out to hunt elsewhere.  By Sunday, the horn
of plenty was pretty much exhausted, and most of the unknown ops had gotten
hungry enough to ID themselves.  Runner ID is a geographic phenomenon--I never
heard a North American running op make more than 2-3 QSOs without sending his
callsign.  Too bad there are only three Zones in NA...

Despite great conditions on all bands, offering more territory for ops than
last year's event, the bands were packed--roughly one running station every 300
Hz or so.  I operated the entire event using K3's new 200 Hz filter and with DSP
bandwidth varying from 200 down to 50 Hz (and many times with Audio Peaking
Filter at 10 Hz).  With past K3's problems fading into history, it was a
genuine pleasure to see what its Rx can do!

Next up:  ARRL 160m, if I can finish the new tower's shunt feed.

73, dan k7ia