[3830] ARRL 10 ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dlindsay.vlc@mscspain.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 ED5T(@EA5ELT) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 03:59:07 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: ED5T
Operator(s): EA5GS, EA5GIE, EB5KT, EA5ON, EA5YI, EA5UF
Station: EA5ELT

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Torrent
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:  719   116
  SSB:  788   135
-------------------
Total: 1507   251  Total Score = 1,117,452

Club: Torrent Contest Club

Comments:

Although we had decided at the beginning of the year that we would participate
in this one, by the time last Monday came around we had nothing prepared. After
a few rounds of emails it turned out that as usual, this is a bad weekend for
contesting since everyone has other commitments, but since this is daytime only
and one radio, we could work out an op rota to be on while the band was open.
However in spite of everything, in the end almost all of us managed a bit of
chair time.

Propagation was a bit odd most of the weekend from here, long into the east in
the early morning and most folks out there still not pointing their antennas
this way. As the day wore on we started working northern EU with strong signals
but the mid EU who normally make up the bulk of our log were watery and
fluttery, often only workable on the beam pointing to AF. Big, big signals from
Ukraine and some of Russia but not an awful lot else apart from Asian
multipliers coming in with a lot of QSB. No JA runs but a surprising amount of
VKs on the short path. At midday the US started coming in as expected but
again, selective, not open much to the west. Sunday morning was better than
Saturday, in the afternoon more or less the same. The constant factor all
weekend was a high noise level to most directions which I'm sure caused us to
lose a number of QSOs.

Station wise we had one visit from Murphy on Friday night. Everything was
working A-OK, the AL1200 all tuned and ready to roll, but when I went to switch
it off, we were plunged into darkness. After resetting everything we switched
back on but after 5 seconds, it tripped again. We were not in the mood to do
any amp work and since the Acom 1000 was sitting in a box in the corner, we
just switched them over and problem solved, at least for the contest. Otherwise
everything worked fine, including our gprs internet connection.

Highlights of the contest included working Paraguay in their middle of the
night, and being called by T88NU, amongst others.

If we had had a plan, weâ??d have done things differently to optimize points,
but since the plan was to have fun, thatâ??s exactly what we did. Great to see
how Elias EB5KT is turning into a real contest machine on phone, and how EA5YI
and EA5GIE were rackinâ?? em up on CW.

Thanks to everyone for the Qs and C U inâ?¦.?

73 de Duncan EA5ON on behalf of the ED5T team.

Rig: Yaesu FT1000MP
Amp: Acom 1000
Ant: 2 x OB11-3 @ 15 and 22m
ED5T runs N1MM software