[3830] TBDC N9RV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9rvee@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N9RV Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:34:19 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N9RV
Operator(s): N9RV
Station: N9RV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Montana
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 453  Total Score = 2,510

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

Was a little surprised when I was casually tuning the band at just before 1500z
when the contest started!  I guess I should read the rules more carefully.

Band was in pretty good shape a couple nights ago, and with the K=0 for WWV I
was optimistic about conditions.  And the band was in good shape - for my
receiver, anyway.  My station has usually been an alligator on 160, but I
copied and called a dozen Europeans who could not hear me or even tell I was
there.  I copied their grid squares effortlessly and was all ready to put them
in the log, but they never came back!

It got so bad that I started noting in my log that I was "calling EU" in the 20
minute segments where I had no QSO's.  I did manage to work 4.  Only E77DX came
right back, rest were a real struggle.  I have a long paper list of EU calls
and grids -- maybe I should send out SWL cards!

I worked RA4LW 15 minutes before the contest started (1445z), but never heard
Vlad very strong during the test and he didn't copy me.

Band was quiet here -- I ended up sleeping after 0600z and getting up for the
JA's at 1200z.  Obviously this contest desperately needs activity.  It would be
good otherwise!

Thanks for the Q's and see you on the bands.