[3830] RAC Winter K9YC SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter K9YC SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 10:35:33 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: K9YC
Operator(s): K9YC
Station: K9YC

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

  160:   29      7       3         4
   80:   65     33       7         7
   40:  100     57       9         9
   20:  126     84      10        12
   15:   94     51       8        10
   10:   42     19       7         9
    6:
    2:
Total:  456    251      44        41  Total Score = 516,800

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I put on the full court press for this one, and enjoyed it a lot.
Running this contest on both CW and SSB lends itself quite well to SO2R. It's
also a very relaxed contest, and thus an excellent opportunity to learn
contesting, learn a new radio or new logging software, and build SO2R skills.
I've been running the YCCC SO2R box for more than a year now and really like
it. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to get stereo from the K3s
through it for diversity.

Everything worked fine with one exception -- I discovered that the DX
Engineering preamp for my Beverages has died, so I patched around it for
the Stew Perry. As it turns out, the K3 has plenty of gain to accept the
output of a reasonably long Beverage (mine are 550 ft and 500 ft long).

I'm really pissed that there's no schematic of the preamp in the DXE manual. I
suspect a pair of blown transistors. On the good side, they're 2N-numbered.

73, Jim K9YC